Word order in ~丁目 example sentence

There is the following example sentence under the ~丁目 vocab info.

ぼくのかの女は、同じ町の二丁目にすんでいるミイコちゃんです。
My girlfriend Miiko lives in 2-chome too.

I (not an English native speaker) would have translated the sentence as
“My girlfriend is Miiko-chan, who lives in 2-chome of the same town (as me).”

Would you still say that wanikani’s own translation is better? (Probably.)
The word order in the Japanese sentence is somewhat different from the order that I would have used, so I wonder what the focus is here. Is it normal to put the name at the end like this, instead of before the は?

2 Likes

The WaniKani example sentences were (seemingly) not written with the expectation that people would try to analyze the relationship between the two sentences closely.

They generally just express the same gist. (Edit: I didn’t even initially recognize how bad this one is though)

Your version maintains the same structure as the Japanese, where the information describing her is presented as a relative clause.

Basically don’t read anything into how the WK sentences are translated. They (seemingly) were not written for that purpose and so there’s little to be gained by trying to determine why they are structured the way they are.

Given some of the mistakes people find in the Japanese sentences as well, I suspect some of them are not written by native Japanese. Hopefully they improve them at some point.

Edit: best to email them about fixing this and other sentences you find with mistakes.

4 Likes

But the information is different, no? The English says “We both live in 二丁目 of the same town” and the Japanese says “We both live in the same town and she lives in 二丁目” is my take on them :thinking:

3 Likes

I disagree with your assessment of the OP’s English sentence I guess. They match as far as I can tell.

I basically didn’t comment on the WK sentence at all because I don’t trust them at all (so didn’t want to spend time on it) and wrongly assumed it was at least nominally correct, just in a different structure. If you were commenting about the WK sentence. I should have looked at it properly.

I agree with OP’s translation.
It’s not just the order of the information that is different in WK’s translation, it’s the information itself too.
According to WK it’s 同じ(町の二丁目) → “lives in 2-chome too”
whereas to me it looks like (同じ町)の二丁目–> 2-chome of the same town
Could 同じ refer to the whole 町の二丁目 phrase, meaning that the narrator and his girlfriend both live in 二丁目?

3 Likes

It’s possible that the WK Japanese sentence doesn’t mean what the person who wrote it intended to express, which would account for why the English seems to conflict.

My main point stands, I think the OP’s sentence is fine and they shouldn’t worry about what WK does with translations until there are major improvements.

I gotta stop using the forums this late as well -_-

Ah sorry, I did not talk about OP’s sentence at all, just about my understanding of the two WK sentences (English and Japanese). Both are foreign languages for me, so I’m prone to misunderstanding either or both.

Yes, thank you! That’s what I wanted to say…

4 Likes

Well. I had originally interpreted it as 同じ[町の二丁目], as I’m pretty sure prenominals can describe full noun phrases and not just the first part of it (though I wouldn’t know how or if there’s a way to distinguish which it’s doing), but now after seeing how everyone else is interpreting the WK sentence, [同じ町の]二丁目 is all I can see it as… Why not just 同じ二丁目 if it’s nichoume of the same town?

I’m slightly confused about the 同じ if it’s talking about a precise location… would it really be phrased like that? :thinking:

I have no idea. Maybe “二丁目にも住んでいる”?

1 Like

Yeah, something like that was my thought as well. :woman_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.