WK Spacing System, Paying to Wait

Worth mentioning that Wanikani does allow for a good speed, if you worried about efficiency. You can read my Guide for Wanikani in order to understand why things are the way they are on WK and how to maximise your results with it :ok_hand:

8 Likes

can i please go back to this pace… please?

10 Likes

Stages of despair:

1. Do all your lessons the same day.
  2. Do 20 lessons a day.
  3. Do 15 lessons a day.
  4. Do 10 lessons a day.
  5. Install lesson limiter because your workload is still out of control.
  6. Do 5 to 10 lessons a day if lesson limiter allows it to limit workload.
  7. Limit yourself to 20 reviews per hour to limit workload, again.
  8. Punch your table in anger as it has been 2 days in a row that lesson limiter has denied you more lessons and that you cannot beat 50% accuracy.

(I’m not a good example for speed, i’m slow, very slow, I refuse to use reordering scripts, or correction scripts because I TOTALLY DIDNT MEAN TO WRITE THIS OBVIOUSLY GIMME BURNED, I also have a fulltime job and an array of hobbies, so that gives you an idea)

As you can see from my graph, things slows waaay down 3rd/4th month and by the 1 year mark you engage actual glacial speed, this workload gives me about 200 reviews a day. I know some people claim passing levels in 3-4 days, I don’t think those are real, or they are skipping vocabulary. (Which, frankly is the only thing that matters and should be required to level up IMHO)

The fact vocabulary doesn’t count also means that i always clear levels with 30-70% of that level’s vocabulary still in my lesson queue.

18 Likes

How do you see that from a profile, out of curiosity? I reset, but I can’t remember what level I got to before I did - I’m mildly curious to remind myself, but don’t see it anywhere on my own profile.

I personally think this is a bit harsh, considering some people can spend basically infinite amounts of time on things like Wanikani, but you do have a point. Even in level 4, I end up with dozens of reviews before even starting the next level’s radicals.

Have you heard of the “fast levels” where there aren’t enough radicals that you can simply get >= 90% kanji to guru within 3d 10h?

4 Likes

Better, wait until level 20 hits you.

1 Like

@jprspereira or others, note that as previously mentioned, 41 is not a fast level anymore. You only get that kind of fun at Level 42+ now.

1 Like

It’s not fake :3

8 Likes

You could theoretically perform Level 1 at that pace, too.

5 Likes

The other day was my birthday so I didn’t wanna do any reviews. I asked myself “do I wanna wake up tomorrow with 200+ reviews”?

I said no, so I went into vacation mode for a day. And I’m only a few levels above you, so trust me. Once those gurus and enlighteneds start rearing their ugly heads, you never have any peace with this damn site. >_>

9 Likes

Honestly, keeping my apprentice stack at 100 at most and not rushing lessons just to get back to that cap seems to do wonders to my retention, though having more free time than I know what to do with helps a lot, too.

3 Likes

Yup, forgot to remove it from that section :scream: すいません Will fix it.

4 Likes

OHHHH, MY BOT-CHAN HELPING PEOPLE OUT!

WHO’S A GOOD ロボちゃん!!賢い、賢い!

10 Likes

You can use anki to learn ahead during the slow levels. There are wk decks out there.

1 Like

To clarify, by “not real” I imply that those people JUST do the radicals & kanji, or at least focus strictly on those.

I don’t consider that to be the “normal” wanikani experience, my reviews are typically 90% vocab, 10% kanji.

1 Like

They wrote it in their personal summary you can type yourself. It doesn’t get automatically saved anywhere.

1 Like

Plenty of people do the all the lessons in one sitting. I do, for example. I don’t mind sitting myself down for 30 minutes or an hour to do all the new lessons. (Which at my level, is anything between 60 and 90.) Same thing goes for reviews; I don’t mind doing a couple hundred reviews daily, which is necessary if you want to go through the levels as fast as possible. Again, going at max speed is not necessary, but a lot of people like going through the levels quickly.

8 Likes

Yeah, getting a level done at max speed isn’t difficult. It just takes the time investment.

The trick is keeping that pace up over the long term. :wink:

5 Likes

Why would you imply that? Unless someone says they are skipping vocab, I don’t think it’s fair to just assume they are based on their pace.

6 Likes