WK Real Numbers (userscript)

Yabba said... Hi, I keep getting a message that says my API is set to null and it doesn't work. Can anyone help?
 Hey, did you remember to click "Generate Key" on your Account settings page? Click that, press Ok on the pop up box, then refresh and see if that works!
alyssakay347 said...
Yabba said... Hi, I keep getting a message that says my API is set to null and it doesn't work. Can anyone help?
 Hey, did you remember to click "Generate Key" on your Account settings page? Click that, press Ok on the pop up box, then refresh and see if that works!
 I have already generated a key, I'd rather not generate a new key because several mobile devices are set up with it
Yabba said...
alyssakay347 said...
 I have already generated a key, I'd rather not generate a new key because several mobile devices are set up with it
 I assume you applied the code fix i mentioned in an earlier post? (previous page)

If you did, then please provide some more information (like browser,error messages in debug console, other tried fixes...) so i can help fix the problem.

Is the link down? I can’t go to that website on Chrome. It just tries to load it for about 30 seconds and then cancels. Can anyone upload the source code? ごめんなさい~ ( ; - ; )

Colnusca said... Is the link down? I can't go to that website on Chrome. It just tries to load it for about 30 seconds and then cancels. Can anyone upload the source code? ごめんなさい~ ( ; - ; )
 http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/153756

Recently I’d to reinstall Firefox, so I’m reinstalling scripts and noticed that this one is no longer working to get the automatically the APIKey. Its only noticeable to “new” users of the script, so I corrected it and put the new code on pastebin.

Here’s the link http://pastebin.com/n8ivpn8j

Credits go to penx since I just tweaked his script.

srfacanha said... Recently I'd to reinstall Firefox, so I'm reinstalling scripts and noticed that this one is no longer working to get the automatically the APIKey. Its only noticeable to "new" users of the script, so I corrected it and put the new code on pastebin.

Here's the link http://pastebin.com/n8ivpn8j

Credits go to penx since I just tweaked his script.

haha lol. So you solved the array index problem with a simple loop ;p
Pretty ingenious and far more noob/future proof than my hacky method!

This is driving me nuts. I am using the latest version of Firefox and I am not allowed to edit scripts. When I try to add this a s a new script, I get a message to type in the scratchpad below, but there’s no scratchpad.  I am not a programmer and I can’t figure out how to add this script to Greasemonkey. Help, someone?

Hmmm… So it’s probably Greasemonkey’s fault right?

Maybe try to reinstall the add-on (Greasemonkey). If that doesn’t work, than your computer is probably cursed or something.

Aside from adding it manually, you could try to have it installed automatically. Go to http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/153756
In the upper right corner, click “install”.  See if you can edit the installed script. If not, the link won’t work, because it’s still the original version of the script that doesn’t work anymore. If you can edit it change the following line

var apikey = document.getElementsByClassName(“span6”)[7].getAttribute(“value”);

into
var apikey = document.getElementsByClassName(“span6”)[6].getAttribute(“value”);
as i’ve mentioned before.

That works. I just cannot edit the script in Firefox. It won’t allow script editing.
But this script doesn’t actually work. And I am not allowed to paste the working script in…

Alrighty then. This script is obviously giving a lot of people unnecessary difficulties. No idea why, but now @sglinert can’t even edit the damned thing. For non-programmers i shouldn’t have suggested to edit the script manually, because that’s just not right. This should all go automagically! If that’s not the case, what are we but mere savages?

So what do we do if the almighty creator of a script (or any program) has left the building ? (do i sense an analogy with The Man Sitting On A Cloud Himself?! ) We, mortal humans, take over. So basically i have created a new script on GreasyFork which i (and anyone who wants to) will maintain from now on.

I used the fixed script written by @srfacanha for this. While i haven’t tested it myself, technically, it should work. (i know, that’s a very dangerous thing to say in the computer science business)

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11244-wanikani-real-numbers

Be sure to post any questions/suggestions or report bugs.

@sglinert: hope it works now.

Hello, I’m only getting blank circles (with penx’s version) instead of numbers.  When I tried another version I only got a pop-up saying “API Error: User does not exist” even after generating new API keys (with Mempo’s version). Can someone help me?

Interesting, I’m getting the “blank circles” bug too now. I first thought a recent update broke the script, but I see someone else had the same issue a couple of months ago and it worked fine for me just yesterday. Any advice?
Edit: replacing the old script with Mempo’s version seems to have fixed the issue. But why didn’t the old one stop working until now?

CaoxKitty said... Hello, I'm only getting blank circles (with penx's version) instead of numbers.  When I tried another version I only got a pop-up saying "API Error: User does not exist" even after generating new API keys (with Mempo's version). Can someone help me?
Oops, i'm very sorry i didn't see this. Two months ago? I was probably on vacation then, so that's why i missed this. This shows one of the problems of WK forums: if it's not in the top 5 recently talked about topics, you usually miss it!

But anyway... Weird that the updated script didn't work. I reinstalled it myself now and it still works. The API error means the script somehow extracted a faulty/incomplete API key and the server couldn't find you! Or it was a server-side problem, which wouldn't have persisted long.

@CaoxKitty: if you read this and still have problems, post a reply below. I'll keep an eye on this topic.

@
Bicorn: I wouldn't call "blank circles" a bug per se. I remember encountering it sometimes, but it's never been a persisting issue. A refresh of the page and some patience usually solves the problem. As to why the old one broke: no idea. Scripts can be magic, but can also be very fragile, often times operating at the whims of the Computer Gods.

Mempo said...https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11244-wanikani-real-numbers

For some reason, it doesn't set the API key for me. I'm using a version of Firefox (Pale Moon) with Greasemonkey. When I wisit any Wanikani page, it keeps displaying the message:

WaniKani Real Numbers has no API key entered!
Press OK to go to your settings page and retrieve your API key!
...and when I click okay, it redirects to the settings page and says:

WaniKani Real Numbers API key set to: (abunchoflettersandnumbers)
...which is the correct API key.

Starker said...

For some reason, it doesn't set the API key for me. I'm using a version of Firefox (Pale Moon) with Greasemonkey. When I wisit any Wanikani page, it keeps displaying the message:

Have you tried:
  • Hitting refresh repeatedly
  • Clearing your browser cache
  • Restarting your browser
  • Deleting and redownloading the script
  • Rebooting your computer
  • Rebooting the universe
Darcinon said... Have you tried:
  • Hitting refresh repeatedly
  • Clearing your browser cache
  • Restarting your browser
  • Deleting and redownloading the script
  • Rebooting your computer
  • Rebooting the universe
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Not that I know of
Also tried setting a new API key.

Starker said...

So it finds your API key correctly, but doesn't store it? Um ok, i'll try to find you an answer.
Mempo said...
Starker said...

So it finds your API key correctly, but doesn't store it? Um ok, i'll try to find you an answer.
 Hehe, apparently Pale Moon is a Firefox fork and let me quote wikipedia here:

Because it is a fork of Firefox, Pale Moon is compatible with most (but not all) of the available Firefox extensions and plugins.
If you say the API key is not stored, then there's something wrong with the GM_setValue() method. This is a GreaseMonkey method, so the only advice i can give is 'be sure to have the latest version of GreaseMonkey installed'.

Its fine by me if someone uses unconventional (non-mainstream) software, but expect that not everything will work on it. Because i didn't even know such a fork existed, it's safe to say i'm not qualified to deal with this type of bug. And i'm not gonna delve into the inner workings of a Pale Moon. I hope it gets solved by the aforementioned suggestions and if not, there's really only 1 other option: REBOOT THE UNIVERSE. Or download firefox/chrome.

No worries. Thanks for looking into it!