WK Payment Suggestion

I love all these new-guys-complaining-about-how-slow-wk-is threads.

Also, this is a great info-graphic.

6 Likes

So you are 100% happy with those 9 levels in one year?

This is true. Is why adobe no longer sells their main products Individually, you have to signup for their subscription service. Microsoft has also pushed office 365 which is subscription based and I could give many other examples too.

Many companies are moving to subscription services even though for software and things we haven’t thought of being a “service”
Subscription keeps their income more stable and also seems to keep customers more brand loyal.

Prime is a good example of this, the whole free two day shipping and other features are just for show, they know if your paying per year for your prime service you will be much more likely to buy from amazon even though another website may have a better price

6 Likes

At full speed with high accuracy you can complete wanikani in just under a year.

I’m on level 9 now and has taken about little over 6 months and I’m happy because I know I would never learned this much kanji from anki decks or a textbook.

3 Likes

Yep…subs are the way of the future in IT (well it’s long since arrived)…micro-transactions are next for the big boys though…

“Oh you want that special font pack for Word do you, that will be an extra $4.99.”

1 Like

Yep, can confirm. Here’s my stats where I’ve been going very close to max speed.

I’m estimating that I’ll complete WaniKani around early-mid November which isn’t bad at all.

5 Likes

Well done…how have you found it at that speed?

A subscription model does give stable income, whereas your suggested model does not. So I don’t really get your point.

So great for the company but…

I can definitely see that with Netflix or Hulu pushing some premium content you can pay extra for on top of your subscription.
We will see

Honestly not bad at all, but I’ve had a good amount of time per day to be able to do WaniKani which some others may not. The hardest is honestly the last 14 levels since starting level 46 is what we call the “fast levels” which can be completed at fastest speed in 3 days 10 hours compared to a normal level which is 6 days 20 hours.

It’s a lot of work to keep up but at that point you already know a majority of the kanji you’ll see while reading anyways. The last levels are still important, but imo the most crucial part of WaniKani is the first 30 levels.

2 Likes

Twitch (I know not really the same but you get my point) just did that a few weeks ago…

For real, I didn’t realize you were there already either. Good luck man.

2 Likes

Awesome job…What do you think your daily average for time spend was for the first 30 levels?

I suppose I’ll chime in too since I went at the same speed more or less. I think I spent maybe an hour and a half a day if I was focusing and not watching something/talking to other people while doing reviews and such.

2 Likes

Besides the first few levels which are obviously slower, I’d say somewhere between 1-2 hours. Now I’d say I spend at least an extra hour daily, sometimes more depending on the reviews I get for that day and how focused I am on doing them.

2 Likes

At that level, I’m guessing you are swamped and the “timing gates” are irrelevant as you always have something to do. Correct?

That really depends on your style. Some people just chip away at their lessons and reviews throughout the day (Which, in my opinion, is the best way to do it), while others sit down at one point in the day and clear out their entire day’s worth of reviews and lessons.

3 Likes

Correct, when I started I wanted to go as fast as possible because I had an itch to get out there and be able to read. I felt that go away around level 30-40 but I still kept my pace anyways even though I could have slowed down. I’m now able to read Japanese text and kanji is the least of my problems when it comes to understanding them.

2 Likes

What I’ve done is set a certain amount of lessons for a day and I’ll do that, usually prefer to get them done earlier that way I can level those items up 2 times before the day is over. I think usually I do reviews 3 times a day at most now, though in the earlier levels I was checking my reviews all the time and doing them whenever I noticed. That takes up so much time out of your day though and I’m glad I stopped.

1 Like

Great feedback…very handy to know…