:crabigator: Visual WK Mnemonics

Aaah thanks for the recommendation! I’m sure it’ll come in handy.

1 Like

^ _ ^

[quote=“Oshin, post:99, topic:33426, full:true”]
I’m Indonesian. I have three native languages by default, because my country has so many tribal/regional languages that it’s common to ignore other people speaking where I live if they don’t use our national (standard) language. My first language are mix of three. Indonesian and two tribal languages I undisclose in the internet. Another language I acquire is Javanese; That happened when I was in Java island (near Bali, but I can’t speak Balinese although some of my families live there). But by sharing this doesn’t imply that I’m good in language. In fact I’m bad in any language I use because I seldom talk. Anyway.[/quote]

Wow. @_@

That’s really cool. I’ve taught English as a second language, so trust me your English is good. I could tell it wasn’t your first language, but you are definitely not bad at it.

I’m trying so hard just to get this second language in, and I am not bad at it, I’m terrible. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll try my best to do an image that will help you with that, but I suspect that your problems with it come more from your unfamiliarity with the word Crisis than the actual mnemonic. Though most native English speakers would be very familiar with the word Crisis, it’s not a word that’s really used often in daily language. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if someone told me it had been years since someone had actually used that word in a conversation with me.

I’m guessing that just talking about it here will help you remember, but I’ll see if I can try a few of them to make it stick.
It will take me awhile though as I’m often working on these over a few weeks.

Whaaaat?

That’s an abomination!

Though I guess it’s along the same lines as:

3 Likes
Hidden because long no. 1

Yeah, it’s common to have neighbours but they don’t speak the same tribal language like us here. Let’s say I’m Balinese, I speak Balinese, my neighbour is from Buton island, hence they speak Buton language that only Buton people understand, another neighbour is from Tegal, a region in Central Java, they’re Javanese but their Javanese is unique, it’s called “Ngapak”, cos they pronounce every “K” letter as “Q” letter or sound like “Qaf” in Arabic, and it always makes my Javanese friends burst laughing out loud whenever they hear people from this certain region speak their language. Another neighbour comes from Madura island, it’s in Java island, near Bali, they speak completely different language and different intonation. Another neighbour comes from Sulawesi island, they speak “Bugis” tribal language, they even have their own writing system, so different in language and also some unique culture, habits and norms. To avoid trouble communicating, we, Indonesian, use Indonesian, our national language to communicate across the country. So it doesn’t matter which tribe we come, we can always understand each other. It’s even written in the first ideology of my country = Bhinneka Tunggal Ika, it means more or less that we are different but we are one. But not many Indonesian bring this up internationally because I can see many young Indonesian are even not proud of speaking regional language.

I don’t argue to anyone who praise my English. It’s also one of my cultures to be indirect. Similar to Japanese Honne Tatemae culture maybe.

We’ll probably never know what a Japanese person really thinks because he’s really good in “hiding” it. We must especially listen to this guy. He’s Koichi.

Hidden because long no. 2

Sharing these Tofugu videos don’t imply that I speak Bad English and I’m good in hiding it because I’m being humble. No. When I say my English is bad, it means I know which areas that are my weakness. I know which area in English that is my strength. Most probably I’m not even sure which area I’m good at. Of course I’m proud of myself but I don’t say that out loud to people. This is again probably the cultural thing.

Yeah. A lot of people said my English is good. Pretty good. Fairly good. I don’t neglect that. But I’m not satisfied with my English, or I’m never satisfied in any language I have. I have difficulties in choosing which preposition would be correct for certain sentences. I also have troubles in constructing long sentences. Unlike when I compose my writing in my native languages, I can just compose it so fluently that I don’t even think about where to put which language component to which part of the sentence. Or I don’t even need to think which noun I should use unless I overthink about the bias and the reader’s perception caused by my noun of choice. You know, once I wrote “feces” instead of “ear wax” in the POLL thread. Thanks to some nice Canadians who were really helpful and patient letting me know that. And I still don’t know what “feces” noun from nose. I only know the excretion from ear uniquely.

I believe language learning is an endless journey. At least, I just know that I never stop learning.

I don’t think I’m unfamiliar with the word “crisis” itself. Especially since this word “crisis” is very similar to my language “krisis”. We just change that “C” letter to “K” letter and we pronounce it differently. For example, I know what these are “krisis ekonomi” or “krisis moneter” = “monetary crisis”. “Krisis kepercayaan” = “A Crisis of Trust”. Etc. I think my problem is usually associating two kanji word that fits Japanese. This is why I requested you. I don’t find a combination of “Machine” and “Dangerous” to be crisis. Unless I create my own easy to remember mnemonics, dangerous car machine can lead to identity crisis, which is based on an American film I watched.

Take your time. My friends from America were confused about the concept of time we, Indonesian, use in Bali in general. That’s right. That region uses their unique concept of time. It’s not based on that mechanical time, but it’s based on the event. And that’s the key. My friends just said, “why, We were late for three hours, and when we said we apologized they said it’s okay, never mind. Indonesian are so nice!” And I just smiled.

1 Like

Yeah, I imagine that will always be the case with me and Japanese. Always having to think of the right words to use, getting certain ones wrong, and having to think to make complex sentences. I don’t think it will ever come naturally, but you are right that it is just constant learning.

As for feces, that’s always used for excretions of the anus, you would never use the word feces for any other part of the body.
Secretions of the ear are almost always called ear wax, I don’t hear anything else used in common speech, or even medical speech.

Boogers (dried mucus), snot, mucus, or phlegm would be used for excretions of the nose.
The first two are classed as slang, but are very commonly used. Though it’s the type of word that would make children giggle.

Mucus and phlegm are used more when someone is sick. So they may say they have a lot of mucus or mucus build up.

More commonly though people tend to avoid saying the word directly, so they will say things like “my nose is running,” or, “your nose is dripping.” Or if it’s blocking the nasal passages and not coming out they will say, “My nose is blocked up,” or “my nose is stuffed up,” or “I’m all stuffy.”

2 Likes

Ok here’s Part 1 of my Crisis visualization.
It ended up being a lot longer than I wanted, but I couldn’t figure out an easy way to shorten it and still get my ideas across.

危機 - きき - Crisis - Level 20

Part 1

Ok so the set up for this one is that Clark Kent is working at the Daily Planet, but hasn’t become Superman yet.
He just needed that one last thing to convince him.

Part 2

The point of this visualization is to remember that the combination of Dangerous and Machine means Crisis. So you have to already know the kanji 危 and 機 beforehand.

4 Likes

どうもありがとうございました @Aikibujin 先輩 m(_ _)m

1 Like

I’m glad you like it, though honestly I’m not sure how good it is.

Part 2 will be a bit more exciting though. ^ _ ^

I forgot that Clark Kent didn’t actually join the Daily Planet as a reporter until the very end of Man of Steel, so I took that scene from the Batman Vs Superman movie, and just spliced in the big machine on the newspaper, this is what that scene looked like before I modified it:

1 Like

Based on the old mnemonics ;_;

中止 - ちゅうし - Suspension - Level 3

( Koichi’s Mnemonic: To remember the reading for this kanji, we use the word chew bacca to pull up ちゅう in our memory.
When we need to remember the sound し, we use the word Charlie Sheen. )

Vocab - Meaning & Reading
Author: Aikibujin

This is an updated version of one from the previous thread.
Still working on Crisis Part 2!

2 Likes

(Part 1)

Part 2

Crisis-P2-01
Crisis-P2-02
Crisis-P2-03
2nd GIF should be read as, “I’m going to name a machine.”

Crisis-P2-04
Crisis-P2-05
Crisis-P2-05
Crisis-P2-06
Crisis-P2-07

Crisis-P2-04
Crisis-P2-08
Crisis-P2-09

Part 3

(Coming soon)

Sneak Preview

SM-Flight-2

1 Like

I’ve updated the previous visualization, Part 2 of Crisis.

Somehow I forgot to post some of the GIFs showing the proper introduction of the Danger/Crisis Machine.

The point of Part 2 is to hammer in the fact the machine is indeed creating a Crisis.

As a side note, the reason it took so long to get Part 2 up is even though it seems it should be a fairly quick process to just grab some of those GIFs that are mostly just shots straight from the movie, it actually takes a ton of time. The tool I use isn’t perfect for finding the clips I want, so first I have to scroll through segments of the movie and make sure that the part I want is actually in the segment that gets loaded in, the frames of the movie are then loaded up as individual images in Photoshop, which takes roughly 5 mins to process, and sometimes it will clip off right in the middle of the shot I’m trying to get.

I then have to choose how many frames from each clip I actually want to use, as unfortunately this site has file size restrictions. So any GIF over 4096KB won’t load, and I’ve found it’s actually a bit less than that allowed.

So then I have to determine how many frames I want to cut out, which either makes the GIF really short, but detailed, or longer with less detail. Often times I’ll cut out every other 1, 2, or 3 frames, so I can have a longer scene, but then I have to determine exactly how fast to run the frames to make the scene still feel natural. You would think if you removed every other frame in a sequence, that it would double the speed, so you could just make it normal by halving the speed it plays at, but that doesn’t always look right.

So often times I’ll have to manually put certain frames back in because of a quick transition in the film that makes you miss something completely if it goes by too quick. Then I have to speed up or slow down certain parts, so the frames don’t go by too quick to notice. If humans are in the scene it immediately makes it harder to make the speed look natural.

Then if I’ve been switching frames in and out too much trying to get it right, I may end up at the point that I can’t remove anymore to fit the file size without destroying the point of the scene completely, so I have to throw out everything I did and split it into two separate GIFS.

I don’t just split the scenes automatically from the start, as I’m already posting around 10 at a time, so I don’t want someone coming to the thread and their computer dies trying to load 20 images at once…

So yeah, in Part 2, even though I haven’t written anything on the GIFs and they are just straight shots from the movie, the 7th, 8th, and 9th GIFs took me 5 hours to create, as they were originally supposed to only be one GIF, and there was actually more in there I wanted, but had to cut out.

That’s why I forgot to include the ones I added. @_@

Cheers! ^ _ ^

To Oshin: I’m finally done editing this post. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

New One:

道 - どう - Road - Level 8

( Koichi’s Mnemonic:To remember the reading どう we use the word “doughnut.”
You’re traveling down this road so fast that you don’t see the giant doughnut (どう) that’s rolling toward you until the last minute. You crash into it, and both you and the doughnut go tumbling down. Ahg, your neck! )

Road

In my version, I like to be a bit more positive, so the doughnut barely misses you on the Road and your neck is fine. ^ _ ^

And if that’s not enough for you, I came up with my very own related mnemonic:

Kanji - Meaning & Reading

2 Likes

@Oshin I’m sorry for taking so long to answer you. I had a huge amount of workload these past few days.

This is really both interesting and beautiful :slight_smile:
I hope to travel to Indonesia one day and visit your country. I have a friend who’s been there and says it’s breathtaking.

I do understand what you mean by the culture of being indirect. Here (in Brazil), I’m of Japanese descent and it’s definitely a culturally contrasting situation.

It’s inevitable that my first thought was “what in heaven’s name is that?”, hahaha
I’m at a loss for words :joy:

@Aikibujin can I make a request?
I’m still having trouble with four words from level 1. They’re practically a permanent part of my wall of shame :roll_eyes:
I’m at level 7 and they still keep showing up constantly. I can’t seem to get the mnemonics on my head.
Do you have anything for: 上げる (to raise), 上がる (to rise), 下げる (to lower) and 下がる (to get lower)?
Their meanings are closely related, but different. I’ll be eternally grateful if you have anything to save my wall of shame, haha :bowing_woman:

1 Like

I think the problem is that there are two different systems for measuring file size. In one, 4 MB = 4096 KB, and in the other 4 MB = 4000 KB. Computers usually use the first system to measure things, and hard drive manufacturers usually use the second system because it makes the drives seem larger than they are. It’s possible that the forums aren’t even using either system correctly :man_shrugging:

Have you tried using Optimize animated GIF to optimize images? Often I can get gifs to go under 4MB without needing to resize them or drop frames, and without the quality dropping noticeably.

2 Likes

I have an idea for that, but it involves Naruto.

How much of the series did you watch?

Yeah, I didn’t think about that; good chance that’s what it is.

I’ve never seen that site before, I’ll definitely have a go at it. Thank you! ^ _ ^

1 Like

It’s been a while, but I watched and read it all - so no problem with the references :grinning:
Thank you, @Aikibujin :hugs:

The conclusion!

(Part 2)

Part 3

SM-Flight-2
Crisis-P3-02
Crisis-P3-03%20
Crisis-P3-04%20
Crisis-P3-05%20
Crisis-P3-06%20

Crisis-P3-06%20
Crisis-P3-08%20
Crisis-P3-09%20
Crisis-P3-10%20
Dedicated to @Oshin
Special thanks to @Darcinon for the awesome GIF optimizer site. ^ _ ^

Kanji - Meaning & Reading

2 Likes

So all three parts of the Crisis visualization are complete now:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I’m not sure if the story line is clear and cohesive though, so if anyone is having trouble figuring out what’s going on with it, please let me know and I’ll clarify where needed.

Cheers!
^ _ ^

1 Like

Slightly updated from the previous thread:

足 - あし - Foot - Level 4

( Koichi’s Mnemonic: If you remember in the radical/kanji mnemonic, you kick someone with your foot . But what happens after you kick them? Turns out they were made of fire, and you just burned your foot off, turning it to ashes (あし). Imagine this happening. )

Note: The last part is read as, “So ashy…”

Vocab - Meaning & Reading

3 Likes

I am working on yours, btw, I haven’t forgotten you! ^ _ ^

1 Like

Don’t worry about it! :hugs:
It’s the holidays!

I hope you (and everybody) had a lovely Christmas time :raised_hands:

1 Like