:crabigator: Visual WK Mnemonics

blasphemy.

4 Likes

玉 - たま - Ball - Level 2

Kanji - Meaning & Reading
Author: Gege

Another version for this Kanji:

When I learned the Kanji for Ball, Koichi’s mnemonic said to think of someone named Tom. But it always made me think of Timmy from Southpark, when he says his name it sounds very close to TaMa!

Ball2
Author: Aikibujin

2 Likes

Ooh, I could see this working with an image from Moana, too!

うみ?

2 Likes

Yeah that’s really cool and makes even more sense. ^ _ ^

Originally when I thought of it during the old thread, the image I had in mind was:

But I thought the other one was a bit more contemporary and adding the うみ felt like defacing it.
(Also there’s more actual ocean in the other one)

土 - ど - Soil - Level 2

Kanji - Reading

4 Likes

In honor of Halloween:

方向 - ほうこう - Direction - Level 6

( Koichi’s Mnemonic: The reading for should be fine, but to remember the part here’s a hint: What direction are you going to go in? You have a couple of choices. One is a dark corridor with the faint sound of " ho ho ho" (ほう) coming from it. You choose this one, and go in the direction of the “ho ho ho.” )

Notes: You read the top text as Ho Ho Ho, the bottom text as “That direction?”

Vocab - Meaning & (partial) Reading

1 Like
1 Like

Now I’m going to have to watch the rest of the movie.

It’s like a rule…

^ _ ^

1 Like

I keep forgetting the rendaku for this one, it’s a new one:

天国 - てんごく - Kingdom of Heaven - Level 6

Notes : When you think of The Heavens think of Goku!

Vocab - Meaning & (partial) Reading

4 Likes

才人 - さいじん - Talented Person - Level 2

( Koichi’s Mnemonic: Who do you know who’s a genius? You don’t even have to know them personally. Just think of them, and sigh (さい) when you do. Ugh, look at that genius over there. Sigh )

Note: Taken from the reading mnemonic for:

(Sai is a character from Naruto whose drawings come to life as part of his ninjutsu)

Vocab - Meaning & Reading

3 Likes

Update

• I’ve modified the OP a bit:
  • Added a little more info in the section about doing your own
  • Added some notes to the end
  • Opened requests for submissions

So as stated now in the OP I will take requests now.
If you have Kanji you are having trouble with, let me know and I can either do up something from scratch based on my own ideas, or your suggestions.

Or if you have an idea and would like me to put it together for you, just let me know, and I can do that too.

1 Like

下手 - へた - Unskillful - Level 2

( Koichi’s Mnemonic: If you’re bad at something and you complain about it, then you’re just a hater (へた). Don’t be a hater . )

Note: This one is an exception to my normal format, it’s read as “Hatas gonna hate.”
That’s gangsta style Kyle!

Vocab - Reading

4 Likes

Wow, no love for the Goku pics.
Even without the Kanji stuff, I think that first pic is pure awesome.

Is Dragonball just too old school now or what? LOL
:see_no_evil:

白 - はく - White - Level 2

( Mnemonic: Haku is the Name of a character in Naruto who had a pure heart and used to be soft and kind even to his battlefield enemies, his ninjutsu was based on manipulating water and wind to form ice " white " )

4 Likes

This is a new one.

When I learned the Kanji for Ball, Koichi’s mnemonic said to think of someone named Tom. But it always made me think of Timmy from Southpark, when he says his name it sounds very close to TaMa!

玉 - たま - Ball - Level 2

Ball2

I had the idea for this one before I even started the last thread, but I didn’t have the Photoshop skills to do it justice. This was done by splicing together two animated GIFs and a third image.
Every time Ball comes up for me on WK, I say TaMa! out loud. ^ _ ^

2 Likes

No it’s great, I also have trouble with that rendaku!

I’ll see if any leech comes out in my next review session and send them your way :slight_smile:

1 Like

大いに - おおいに - Very - Level 2

( Koichi’s Mnemonic: When you do something with (に) big , you do it very , or with a lot of something. )

Notes: This one I came up with because the mnemonic just doesn’t make any sense…

6 Likes

I’ll see what I can do with them if they do. ^ _ ^

This is one from the previous thread, but it was the first modification to an animated GIF I did, so I gave it a bit of an update. ^ _ ^

内 - うち - Inside - Level 3

( Koichi’s Mnemonic: There’s something inside and you wanna get to what’s within . Look inside.
Ooh, cheese (うち)! Your favorite. Ooh cheese, how I love you. )

Inside2

8 Likes

I wanna eat that, now…

1 Like