Why, Wanikani? [Yet another 金玉 thread]

I’m surprised you can even be concentrated enough to do them at work. I always have people pestering me when I’m clearly busy, and get things wrong because of it. I even stopped using WK on browser and using Tsurukame instead because of it.

3 Likes

Those are bad words? I guess that’s why my boss is always angry at me

18 Likes

Wait, they took 乱交 off of wanikani? But how will people know where the good and bad orgies are at???

At least they haven’t taken away 乳首 yet. Still plenty of NSFW reviews to look forward to.

24 Likes

oh, dear… what level does that lovely word come up?

4 Likes

I tried to find it but couldn’t, doesn’t come up as I would expect when I go to https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/乱交.

That comes up at 23

EDIT: Why do you people keep clicking that link? It’s only there to show that 乱交 is gone, so the link will just bring you to the dashboard. I just earned the popular link badge from that broken link. I guess people just don’t want it to be true.

22 Likes

It was announced by JenK it was removed like a week or so ago. It’s in the content update thread.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/wanikani-content-updates/33117/54

8 Likes

I wouldn’t feel weird about anything coming up on WaniKani that could also come up on Kanken, and I think I’ve actually seen 乳首 on Kanken. Obviously, it’s always going to be in a fairly neutral and non-erotic sentence on an exam aimed at school children.

I feel like 乱交 probably would not show up on Kanken.

8 Likes

I’m also wondering if it can be used to describe a rubber nipple, as in the end of a baby bottle. But I’m at work right now and don’t care to check jisho with a busy staffroom.

5 Likes

Lord, what a nightmare.

This thread is also how I learned that WK has stealthily removed 乱交 (orgy) as a vocabulary word. It’s not coming up when I search it anymore!

edit: I just saw the link here, d’oh Why, Wanikani?

13 Likes

It can be.

From the Wikipedia article for 哺乳瓶

9 Likes

@JenK Are you aware that this says December 2020?

20 Likes

its a warning. burn it while you still can!

17 Likes

lol, I wouldn’t consider them bad words, but maybe a little NSFW (they might not be, I’m still fairly clueless about how taboo certain topics are in Japan)

6 Likes

It looks like a hat for a small head.

The best way to remove testicles from wanikani is to burn the vocabulary.

14 Likes

I’ve asked about this before as well. I sometimes use Wanikani in my staff room at school in Japan, and there are a handful of words throughout its levels (not just this one) that I’d rather not have flash across my screen.

I was offered a WIP script to try to block certain words, but never wound up getting it to work. I would love to see a “temporarily remove from reviews,” or “remove from reviews from [time] to [time]” option in the future.

7 Likes

I have the same issue, so I minimize the browser. The kanji will still show up, but they’re MUCH smaller and I can usually fly through them without anyone noticing. :laughing:

1 Like

I’m honestly curious about this. What is wrong with the word testicles?
I understand removing offensive language, but testicles?

10 Likes

If it was the anatomical term for testicles, like 精巣せいそう or 睾丸こうがん, it might seem more like serious study and a little less embarrassing to have on your screen, but 金玉 is more like “balls” in English, in terms of how it’s used. It’s a colloquialism. Japanese people, and certainly students, would react to it I imagine.

30 Likes

Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

RIP, 乱交 ;_;7

9 Likes