Why thin kana?

I was wondering if someone knows why IME offer you the possibility to write with thin kana such as アリガトウゴザイマス.
Is there a specific reason or use case? And what about the “full-wide romaji” seriously?

2 Likes

Half-width kana were used in the early days of Japanese computing, to allow Japanese characters to be displayed on the same grid as monospaced fonts of Latin characters. […] Half-width kana characters are not generally used today, but find some use in specific settings, such as cash register displays, on shop receipts, Japanese digital television and DVD subtitles, and mailing address labels. Their usage is sometimes also a stylistic choice, particularly frequent in certain Internet slang.

Nice, just what I wanted to know. Thank you

5 Likes

And if you really want to be fancy, you can also type in Taiwanese kana

2 Likes

when the island of Taiwan was under Japanese rule.

I didn’t even know :open_mouth:

During the years of the empire of Japan, after the first Sino-Japanese War, so roughly 1895 until 1945 Taiwan was under Japanese rule.

However, unlike Korea and China during WW2 it went, what you might call “Smoothly” especially with what came right after the war with the February 28th incident and the White Terror

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.