Why so many useless vocab words?

usage and words of choice you can use will be different depending on your field~

wakikani teach you to all around across different topics~ is should not be called 「not useful」、i think you just not encountered yet in real life usage~

you won’t meet「月経痙攣」 unless you go to drug store (and woman)~

you won’t meet「白色」 unless you’re painting artist~

you won’t meet 「~党」 unless often watch politics news~

no~ don’t impress girls with language pride~ instead impress girls with your pure love and real dedication~ ~ ~ :heart: :heart: even i think your girlfriend know some words which you never encountered in rest live like → 「月経前症候群」

11 Likes

I saw one of his videos explaining the point of the vocab when he was explaining why you shouldn’t use re-order scripts. Basically the vocab’s purpose is mostly to help you hammer in the multiple kanji readings. It has gotten to the point where I can pretty much guess 75%+ of new vocab readings/meanings as they are introduced. Almost figured out the whole rendaku thing too.

As you figure out the system, when you meet new vocab words in the wild, you’ll be able to generate a general gist of what the word says or how it is read by knowing the kanji meaning/readings involved.

5 Likes

Disappointed I can only like this once!

1 Like

In response to the usage of 乱交 (maybe NSFW in some people’s opinion):

In my family, it is common to call a feast a “Fressorgie” (eating-orgy). Now I’m wondering, has 乱交 also just the meaning of “doing something in excessive ways”, or is the meaning specifically “sex orgy”? Jisho translates it to “group sex”, so I assume it is the latter.

It has one, very concise, definition.
男女が入り乱れて性交すること。

2 Likes

Okay, thanks. Then I probably won’t ever have to use it. Except maybe if I watch certain types of… videos.

1 Like

Oh dear, I did a look up of that word on my work computer. HR meeting in 5… 4…

10 Likes

Just because you are level 60 doesn’t mean you are better than anyone else. Sorry but completing Wanikani requires 0 skill. It’s only about time. I bet the only satisfication you get in life is to talk bad about other people.

2 Likes

It’s probably been brought up somewhere in this thread, but the vocab also simply helps reinforce the kanji.

At least so far, I think WK has done a good enough job of teaching vocabulary that has odd readings along with some that use just on’yomi as reinforcement. A huge number of words exist with some of the “popular” kanji, but if they all use on’yomi there’s no real need to practice them all on this system.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah, it may be less common where OP was from, but in japan, カキ氷 was reallly popular. Especially in kyoto, I felt like I saw it on every corner along with just regular ice cream around more touristy parts.

2 Likes

I’ve actually never heard of the word police box until i encountered in Japanese. I’ve always used the word police station. But I suppose I can not argue that I was not sheltered so,

When I first learned it, I don’t think I knew what it was. Yeah I can’t remember what I thought it was, but I eventually figured it out. I don’t think it’s embarrassing that his gf didn’t know, sometimes you forget simple things just because they are simple and you don’t think about it much. If she’s not been to japan, and doesn’t watch anime, dramas, ect. Then I could see why she could have forgotten one word if she encounters it so infrequently. Plus if she heard by ear, sometimes you might not be thinking correctly, as it’s easier to know the meaning when you see the kanjis

they may seem useless (to you) but seeing how words are built and what kanji they use helps later on. if anything, you can supplement your learning with jisho and find some words that use that kanji

police station is a bit different. Police box is one of these

EDIT: worth noting they are much more fancy in japan, as kumirei pointed out

5 Likes

However a 交番 looks more like a station

I know that, I said I know the word police station, but I did not the word police box prior. I think if someone didn’t know what a police station was, that would be strange. But I would not feel the same way if someone didn’t know what a police box was. But that’s how leebo was acting.

I’ve definitely never seen one of those before, and hence why I didn’t quite understand the vocab when I first encountered it.

Also I see I wasn’t quite clear about what I meant, but I was comparing police station to police box.

1 Like

Also OP, as many people have said, if your goal is to learn the most common words at the start, I would recommend looking at some Core decks on Anki or memrise.

One of the most common words I have seen, 誰, is not found on here until level 43. They certainly don’t teach words in order of frequency here.

1 Like

月経 is definitely a more medical word, but people should know 生理, that’s like “Menstration” versus “Period”.

If someone doesn’t know 白色 well I don’t know what world they live in. There are plenty of obscure colors, this is not one of them.

党 perhaps, or if you live in Japan you can’t really escape this character.

Just because you don’t know what something is or means doesn’t make it useless.

So… before reading this thread I thought I knew what a police box is but now I’m not so sure. Is it actually the same thing as a police station, as Leebo is suggesting? Or are there police boxes AND police stations in Japan?