Why levels?

@dogandwolf Let’s have the resident white mage learn to mug. Because we can.

1 Like

Reorder/lesson filter allows for it. You do the previous level’s vocabulary on the days you don’t have any radicals/kanji in your current level left to do.

I do think the number is closer to 20-25 lessons a day, though.

1 Like

As @konekush said, you need to reorder the items but it’s definitely true.

2 Likes

Because we are pokemon.

1 Like

Don’t know tbh, but in the same way, why do ES kids in second and third grade learn difficult and/or large stroke order kanjis such as 頭、顔、歌、曜、整、数 etc??

As a comparison, BunPro has no levels (other than the N5…N1, but these are too big in my opinion) and I don’t such a sense of progress. If someone asks me “What’s your progress on WaniKani?” I can tell them exactly where I am: which level, and maybe how many things I unblocked there. I can easily see how much I still need to do to “finish” everything. But with BunPro I can’t answer in that way, I can only say “Well, I did all of the N5 and I’m somewhere in N4”, but having just 5 levels isn’t that precise.

I really wish BunPro was more structured like WaniKani…

3 Likes

Because they teach the kanji in the order of how simple/complex the concepts are, not the kanji itself.

1 Like

It was a rhetorical question, indeed you are right. So that is why order in this case really isn’t relevant. Order is probably loosely based around kanji compounds that are conducive to the particular grammar which they lend themselves to. For example 上 pairs with 級 to get 上級 so naturally these two would appear together in the same WK level.

more on Bunpro:

It’s true it’s easier to put a number to your progress on Wanikani.
Though to me, “have learned N5 grammar, 60% of N4” is pretty decent.
Of course you need the Progress Percentages Bunpro script for that.

Remember, Bunpro is still rather young and often changing.

By the way, the level on Bunpro is actually meaningful, because there’s a limit to the XP you can gain from reviewing the same stuff. You get the max XP for an item at SRS 12.
It’s just harder to evaluate a Bunpro level, because some people could have put a lot of items to SRS 12 instead of learning many.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.