Why is WaniKani the only thing that works?

I wouldn’t mind using my mouse for it, although it would be difficult - and in the worst case I also own a smartphone.

Still, a mouse would work. They’d be ugly, but we’d just need the system to check for general shape, not beauty of your kanji since this isn’t a shodo app. Nevertheless, just getting a system to properly recognize whether a kanji is properly written or not would be massively difficult. I don’t know of any apps that do this successfully, even ones like Kanji Senpai or Obenkyo only vaguely assess this, often getting it wrong, so I’m not stressed over this apparent lack.

For now, I’m just forcing myself to write the kanjis in my mind whenever Kanji Senpai asks for a kanji I should know, and then purposefully fumbling the answer if I don’t know it or missed a stroke or two.

1 Like

@Tizzysawr,
I did my final project in a neural networks class in 1998 on japanese handwriting recognition. It’s actually not as hard as it sounds. But it definitely helps to have that area of knowledge, and most software developers don’t.

4 Likes

[double checks math]

:rage:

3 Likes

So need to atttack えとえと. Got my invite at a time that wasn’t great for extra study commitments, though it certainly looks better than TextFuGu.

For many people, it’s not just SRS that’s the key. A supportive and generally nice community is very important for maintaining motivation, something lack Anki lacks, for instance.

2 Likes

No…20*90 is definitely 1800…:rolling_eyes:

4 Likes

TBH, the default setting of Anki doesn’t work as well for me.

Copying WaniKani’s settings work better.

• 1 (10) 240 480 …
  • Study by levels / tags
  • Typing in answers and compare answers

1 10 setting sucks.
20 new cards per days sucks.
100 reviews per days sucks.
Not activating textbox input by default sucks.

I altered everything to make it works, with a little experiment ongoing.

I even make my own topic on this “Anki Strategy”.

I write on Anki as well (AnkiDroid on Note tablet).

1 Like

I do think KaniWani is overkill. You don’t need E->J that much. The better approach would to study E->J by category or by textbook, if you are using a textbook.

Especially the turtles.

I have two Wacoms… an old (original) Graphire (that was about $150 CDN refurbished in 2006) and a Cintiq Companion Hybrid (close to $2k CDN two years ago). I’d use either, depending on if I was at home or out somewhere… But that’s just me… I have them both already for art. Not everyone does.

Is Kanji Senpai any better than Obenkyo? I’ve tried that on my phone (I have it for my tablet too, but haven’t tried kanji writing on there yet, perhaps that would go over better…) and it’s been pretty poor at recognizing my sloppy thumb kanji. XD Are you on iOS or Android?

Why is it called Obenkyo? If you were going to add an honorific to 勉強 wouldn’t it be ご勉強, because of the onyomi?

1 Like

*shrugs* I don’t know. Go ask the developers of the app?

I’ve not seen or heard of this ご that you speak of before, though. Is that something I’m likely to come across in Genki? Or is it a higher-level grammar point (N2 or something?)?

I think I’ve seen… ご家族

(Edit: yeah, it was in the Japanese class I took, which was a poor coverage of genki 1, lessons 1-7)

Huh… I just finished lesson 7 tonight… and I don’t recall seeing that in the book thus far… Hm…

Yeah, as I said, poor coverage. It was a mix between what was in the book and I have no idea. Because after I actually started going through the book (didn’t use it in class) I noticed there was a lot that was not covered.

Yes, unfortunately I feel I need to solidify my intermediate grammar foundation before I get stuck into the Kuma level stuff (immersion and shadowing). It is coming up to 2 years since I passed N3 now and I am embarrassed that I have gone backwards in my knowledge, if anything.
The section of EtoEto I need (Kappa) is the one they were working on last. And now that it’s going to be ripped up and re-made, I think I need to get my learning elsewhere. I’ve finally started the Tobira book I bought… in 2014! :see_no_evil:

Unfortunately, お/ご is not as straight forward as the simple on/kun rule. Best bet is to check usage, such as on Kotonoha, when you don’t know for sure from experience. お勉強 occurs 171 times, versus ご勉強 2 times.

3 Likes

I assume you know about あさごはん, or other ごはん’s. Same ご. It makes a word polite. In that case, it’s actually become part of the word all the time.

@rfindley thanks. Didn’t realize it wasn’t rule based, but I don’t use keigo much.

Wha? Oh no, and I thought I’d rip right through Fugu in no time once I was caught up here again. Any idea what went wrong, the site news indicated regular progress with Kappa