Why is 誰 (who) not taught until lvl 43, when all of its radicals are known by level 10?

It’s a pretty important kanji, I don’t understand why it isn’t taught as early as possible.

4 Likes

One possible reason is that it’s not really in a lot of (or possibly any?) compounds.
I don’t think I’ve seen it at all outside of だれ and variations on it. So maybe they thought it wasn’t as high-priority to learn compared to kanji that show up in lots of words. After all, you can pick up all that’s really important to know about 誰 just by coming across it a few times, since it pretty much just means the one thing.

That’s just speculation though!

12 Likes

While the word itself is N5, I suspect that the Kanji is not taught earlier as the Kanji is N3 (from what I can tell), so there are other items that you can learn as you progress before you get to that one.

2 Likes

Good question! I have this question about a number of kanji that I come across in games or anime but seem to come later in WK. For example, I’ve been seeing this one 頃 a lot in Japanese content, but it’s not taught until level 45. My solution has been to trust the process of WK but also to supplement with an Anki deck with things that I look up. Yes it means I’m doing two SRSs at once, but i’ve gotten a lot closer to being able to read things that I enjoy that way. On the plus side, when something from my Anki deck does come up in WK I already know it! This has happened a couple times already.

2 Likes

timely

3 Likes

誰 was only added to the jouyou list (the list of kanji taught in school) in 2010. So it’s taught in high school officially, and for all that time until then it wasn’t taught in school at all. Just putting the importance of it in perspective.

Obviously, I think most kids can read it before then, but still, it’s not like it’s taught early on in Japanese education either. And as was noted, it only has one jouyou reading, だれ.

2 Likes

Like two of the the above posters said, the kanji is far higher level than the word. It is very often written in kana, and with only one easily inferred reading, it’s not too important to teach.

The real crux of it is WK definitely favors foundational words that will help build reading compounds and mesh with future kanji to help retention. 誰 does not do that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.