Why is を used instead of が used?

皆ずっと同じこと言ってるんだけど

1 Like

This might not be super relevant to this specific question, but keep in mind that は is super flexible and can be used make almost anything the topic.

命は落とす危険がある。
As for life, the danger of losing it exists.
(は replaces を and changes the emphasis)

命を落とす危険はある。
As for the danger of losing life, it exists.
(は replaces が and changes the emphasis)

は can also change meaning drastically depending on the context.

犬は好きです

What does this phrase mean? It could be…

A: Bさん!猫は好きですか。
Mr. B! Do you like cats?
B: 犬は好きです。
(No,) I like dogs.

Or…

A: 猫は骨が好きじゃないです。
Cats don’t like bones.
B: 犬は好きです。
(However,) Dogs do (like bones).

Same phrase, totally different meanings.

this topic is honestly a bit painful to read. we keep explaining the same thing over and over - all relevant info is there, from any angle - but only meet scepticism.
there’s a point where patience just runs out.

One thing that I don’t think has been said, but might help, if my understanding of the original question is correct:

The means by which the lives might be lost is not mentioned in the sentence. There is however a way to add it, where you don’t need a は. (I think this is where the confusion comes from, OP was under the impression that the particle automatically meant the main actor of the sentence). and that is by adding a に part, I think.

For example (for some reason I imagine 私達 in a Temple of Doom type situation):

Which would mean: We are in danger of losing our lives by a rolling boulder.

You have missed the point I was making this entire thread. you keep assuming I’m confused about the usage of the topic and subject marker, and making reply’s based of your assumption. every reply you posted has nothing to do with the question I was asking. I tried explaining it several times but you seem to not get the point I was making. also I already marked the thread as solved my question was answered… so why is your patience still running out,. I suggested you read the reply marked solved, in order to avoid causing your patience to run out further. and further more if you still Think I don’t understand what your saying. maybe stop posting in this thread if you value your patience that much.

I understand what you wrote, but that’s not what I meant.

So, as a relative outsider coming in, I don’t know if this is my place. But I’ve seen a lot of your topics and want to say something.
It’s fine if you don’t understand something, and it’s fine if it takes you a long time to understand something.
However, everyone here did understand your question. And everyone did answer your question. You just didn’t understand the answers.
And again, that’s fine. It is totally fine to not understand an answer. What’s important is that you eventually do understand, and you did! Which is great.

However, in all of your threads, you’re incredibly beligerant and aggressive. Constantly saying “no, you’re wrong, no, I asked this, you’re wrong, you’re not answering my question.”
But these are all people who are genuinely trying to help you and explain it to you. And they all do understand. They’re not wrong. They are answering your question. You just don’t understand.

So please, please, would you consider listening more patiently? Could you say “I don’t understand your answer” instead of “you’re wrong”?

Eh. That’s all.

1 Like

The only time I ever say something like no your wrong is if someone is rude to me in that thread. please post any-thread where you think I was being “incredibly belligerent and aggressive” and I will show you before I said something like no your wrong, that someone was infarct rude to me in the first place.

And I guess your replying like this because of my reply to Omukai? Did you not read the qoute I was replying to?

You think Everyone in this thread Understood the question? but that’s obviously not the case.

If you look at the reply I marked as solved and one of Mokai’s reply’s do you think there talking about the same thing?

No, I wasn’t respond to your reply to omukai. And yes, from my reading of omukai’s responses, he understood your question and was answering in a way that he thought would help.
You just didn’t understand the way he answered your question, and started arguing with him. And one more time - it’s fine that you don’t understand his explanation. Sometimes we have to have things explained to us in multiple ways before we understand.

However, you often seem to argue with people because you don’t understand their answer. I just don’t feel that this is productive, and makes it difficult for people to help you.

When did I start arguing with him? your creating a narrative that did’t happen.
If your response wasn’t to my reply to omukai just now. please qoute me in this thread,
where I it prompted you to say to me [quote=“QuackingShoe, post:48, topic:33179”]
you’re incredibly beligerant and aggressive
[/quote]?

You think I don’t get what your saying, but at the same time I see it the other way round. but the differences is, I didn’t start slandering people because I thought I was right and they were wrong. I never once told Mokai he was wrong in this thread untill he was rude to me. he was rude to me first then I told him he was wrong. but you twisted it to your own narrative to make it seem like I attacked him for no reason…

my perspective.

I asked a question,

Omukai miss understood what I was saying,

then tells me I don’t understand what he’s saying

he tells me his losing his patience."

Do you not think he was rude for saying that?

Mukais perspective

"this guy asked a question

I answered his question.

he doesn’t understand

I’m losing my patience."

In any of those situations was I rude?

In any of those situations was Omukai rude?

The differences Between me and you and Omukai is this.

If I think I’m right I don’t tell people there wrong in less in defence of myself.

Where as you guys when you think your right you will attack those you think your wrong regardless.

and just to be clear for anyone reading this this is in defense of Quackingshoe slandering me.

You guys make your opinions based on popular opion and don’t dare say anything that might make you look like, you don’t know something. you stay in the safe place.

Where as I will question something I don’t understand regardless if it makes you assume I’m dumb.

Maybe I have a puzzle of a trillion pieces that I’m putting together, but I’m missing one or 2 peices?
So I will go and enquire about that missing piece.

me: Hey I’m I’m having trouble fitting these 2 pieces in can someone help?

You: Ah this guy is dumb he can’t fit together a 2 piece jigsaw puzzle. I can fit together a hundred piece jigsaw puzzle.

You think I don’t feel anxious before I post in here? knowing that If I ask someone to further elaborate on there question it’s going to be met with a sense of. “My knowledge is complete if you don’t get what I’m saying you must just be trying to trying to attack me”

and most of the thread jumps on that train, and just assumes your dumb. then proceeds to make you feel,
bad for not simply saying I understood hat you said, even though I didn’t really.

Some people look at what I said and simply break down what I’m asking and don’t assume anything and I receive the best answers from them.

Where as other people will make assumptions based of the fact I’m asking a question they deem as simple. and just to reiterate I’m posting this in response to Quackingshoes slander towards me.

as people will probably read his comments as gospel and everytime I try to ask questions the thread is going to be derailed into me being [quote=“QuackingShoe, post:48, topic:33179”]
incredibly beligerant and aggressive.
[/quote]

If your wondering why this is so long it’s be cause it’s not the first time this happend.

and I want to be clear as to what my point is, so that if anyone tries to say I’m wrong for defending myself you can have better understanding of where I’m coming from.

Mmm, I wasn’t trying to say that you’re dumb. I hoped to make that clear, because I think we all struggle to understand certain concepts, but maybe I failed. If anything, my impression is just that your English isn’t very strong, which makes it harder to follow some of the explanations. Which I think is fine.

Anyway, I’ll withdraw from this conversation. My post didn’t accomplish what I wanted it to, so oh well. Good luck with your studies.

Halfway through the topic, you were still telling us that “With that を It clearly indicates they are killing them selves.”

It’s not a question anymore at that point, I guess just a lecture from you on why we’re all wrong.

Everytime you tell me somthing and I’m confused about what you said, I ask you to elaborate.
then when you elaborate you bring up somthing else, and I ask you to elaborate on that new part you just said that I did’t understand.

As you confirmed my question. why would me saying this, be an issue. we both agreed it was correct.

Because losing your life and killing yourself are not the same thing? The frustrating thing is wondering why we have to explain something like this.

“He does the losing of his life” =/= “He killed himself.”

You told us you understood, but I’m not sure that’s the case.

1 Like

I request that refrain from commenting on any of my threads in the future.

Thanks.

My pleasure.

In fact anyone who thinks, I’m rude or aggressive or belligerent or think that my that my questioning of your your explanation is anything other than an attempt, to better understand what your saying. If it’s any or all of those reasons please also refrain from posting in any threads that I make in the future as I feel it will be better for my metal health as well as my learning…

Thanks

Ok, sorry you feel that way.

1 Like

for what it’s worth, the post marked as a solution said basically the same thing as everyone else was saying. the examples seemed to be able to resonate with op the most, though.

My point was that the verb that was used with that sentence seemed like it was transitive to me.
so I was confused as to why を was used instead of が with that verb. The answer I marked as solved,
explained why the verb was transitive. where as everyone else try to explain how は and が are used.