Why is 〇〇はあかいです acceptable but not 〇〇は好きです if they're both adjectives?

Yes, everything you hear at the start has a high chance to either be wrong or oversimplified. If you try to fit everything into a singular incorrect or oversimplified framework, you’ll get stuck.

3 Likes

It’s kind of a marketing tactic on CD’s part, although there quite a few insights to be gained by looking at Japanese the way it’s taught to natives.

The thing is that many of the crutches introduced in things like Genki are useful in teaching you the language. So while we may argue the efficacy, just like regular crutches, they’re all meant to be discarded eventually.

1 Like

it’s… not? they just know the language, they don’t teach eachother.
I thought she simply had a different explanation for things, not that she was objectively closer to the source.

1 Like

Natives do study grammar at school. It’s not how they acquire the language, but the way they analyze it for school is different from how it’s taught to learners.

Here’s a native who has a series that functions as a supplement to junior high school grammar lessons for natives.

5 Likes

Would be better to say she attempts to emulate the logical process that occurs for natives in a way that westerners can understand with our dummy skulls.

3 Likes

I came to see “eihongo” just as a term for trying to teach Japanese as if it has the same structure and paradigms as English, which it clearly doesn’t.

@Leebo do you perceive the way Japanese is taught to Europeans as being flawed or problematic like Cure Dolly would say?
Just out of curiosity, how did you learn grammar? Did you make use of the “eihongo” methods?

I view eihongo as romaji heavy descriptions that attempt to differentiate eels from customers :smiley:

Yes @Leebo what are your thoughts on this.

2 Likes

@Vanilla what are your thoughts? how did you learn?

I’m American, so you’ve given me a perfect excuse to avoid getting into that discussion.

8 Likes

Well, I totally respect that, but just in case you’re serious, I meant all people who are in a way of European culture, given how English is an European language

hide GIF

5 Likes

That’s why I necessarily qualify westerners vs any region.

1 Like

That only works if you say “Western European”. Many people in the Americas (the west) do not share a culture with Europe, such as the Tupi people of my country.

1 Like

every country/region is distinct , problematic reasoning aside, when someone says “Western” as in the “Western world” or “Western thinking.” they usually mean Europe and North America as a whole.

3 Likes

Genuinely, I don’t…know? I don’t actually know how westerners study grammar typically so I can’t say if it’s flawed and if it is, what parts.

I have severe MBS, so I just learned by looking at a bunch of example sentences and getting an intuitive feel for the most part. And then some more advanced stuff like 蓋し and ともかくや which is really just a different way of writing another grammar point or multiple grammar points I would just reference the equivalents in japanese.

2 Likes

What is MBS? Google isn’t giving me results about conditions, just random things

1 Like

Monkey brain syndrome

3 Likes

I thought you meant IBS and was trying to make the connection.