Why does WK ask for the 里 kanji's kun'yomi?

I noticed when doing my reviews today that for the 里 kanji, WaniKani asks for its kun’yomi reading instead of its on’yomi reading, which seems backwards from normal. I know the ony’omi from Kanjidamage, and was confused when WK rejected that answer because it wasn’t the kun’yomi reading despite the fact that this was a kanji review and not a vocab review. What am I missing?

1 Like

Probably because even though they teach 里 in level 5, the first vocab that uses the onyomi is in level 41. In the meantime, there are some that use the kunyomi. Generally they teach whatever they think will be more helpful to you. It’s usually onyomi though, yeah.

EDIT: They do have り listed for the onyomi though, so in a kanji review it won’t mark it wrong.

10 Likes

They’ll go with the “most useful” reading. Not exactly sure how they define it, but it’s a combination of frequency in vocab and the frequency of said vocab in normal text.

Usually that’s the (or one of the) on yomi reading, but especially toward that later levels you’ll see more kunyomi readings with the kanji.

7 Likes

The reading taught during kanji lesson is not automatically the onyomi, they just teach what they think is the most useful.

Did you notice they also teach the kunyomi かわ of 川 at level 1? It’s because the onyomi せん is used only in very few, fairly uncommon words.

3 Likes

It didn’t mark it wrong, it just wouldn’t allow me to input the on’yomi instead of the kun’yomi. Thank you!

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that! I think I was still getting used to the idea of different readings existing on level 1.

1 Like