Why do you fail single Kanji vocabulary words if you put in the kanji reading?

[quote=“electronbabies, post:60, topic:36767”]
Out of curiosity, do you have similar problems with the radicals when they’re the complete Kanji?[/quote]
It has happened, but not nearly as commonly. I think that the difference between blue and pink is more striking than that between pink and purple, and also the blue stands out more by virtue of being less common; getting a blue question feels almost like a momentous occasion.

心当たり!I also do the reverse, but then seeing text transform into kana is usually enough to set me straight (plus, most of the time it doesn’t even go through, since it uses sequences of letters that don’t correspond to any kana).

1 Like

Yeah, older romaisation is frequently preserved in the spellings of loanwords, like kudzu or adzuki. Or yen.

I can’t tell from your post if you already knew, but this is actually how it works though; the days of the week refer to those planets!

Mars = 火星 ( かせい) “fire star”
Mercury = 水星 (すいせい) “water star”
Jupiter = 木星 ( もくせい) “wood star”
Venus = 金星 (きんせい) “gold star”
Saturn = 土星 (どせい) “earth/dirt star”

So… now you can feel proud after all :wink:

2 Likes

I love the way that just as 土星 and 土曜日 have a shared origin, so do Saturn and Satuday. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It sure just feels like being penalized for being slightly colorblind and/or having a poor screen where the contrast between purple and pink (which, let’s be honest, are pretty similar) isn’t well defined.

You’re not learning anything when you get the vocab reading wrong because you thought it was asking for kanji reading. Other than “learn to distinguish colors better, loser!”

My salty 2c, because this happens allll the time.

No, because the contrast between blue and pink / blue and purple is much more noticeable, at least for me.

To be fair, the colors aren’t the only distinguishing factor. It does say “Vocabulary” or “Kanji” as well, directly above where you have to type the answer.

1 Like

Speaking for myself, I don’t even look at that part of the screen. When I’m trying to get through 100+ reviews, I’m generally looking at the same spot on the screen (where the kanji appear), and my eyes don’t even move that far down (to where “Vocabulary Meaning” etc is written).

Okay. Well, just saying that even if someone used the site in monochrome there’s sufficient information to answer correctly. So I don’t think it’s punishing anyone for having a disability or screen problem.

Oh, and it’s not as easy to notice maybe, but the size of the items is different. Kanji are about twice the font size of vocab items, but I don’t know that it would help much when looking at a single item, since you’d have to remember how big the other item type was.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.