Why do the EXAMPLES show different readings to the READINGS?

If he is doing this in every newbie thread then sounds like obvious troll should not be allowed to post in newbie threads…

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Okay but what are you trying to say?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Even if it were babytalk that wouldn’t be helpful for people who learned, and want to learn, proper grammar, but your posts are at best barely barely understandable even with a decent grasp of the language.

6 Likes

I still don’t understand - what sentence is that meant to be? I have no reference point here so all I have to go by is my extremely limited knowledge of Japanese and the fact that I recognise 1 of the kanji.

I actually appreciate someone demonstrating some Japanese but if you are doing it to help then I’m afraid I can’t get much from it without some context or an explanation as I am a total noob

Ah I see - my post is more about my concern that after learning a kanji and its reading, some examples are given using different readings which we haven’t been taught and that seemed strange.

But I understand now that those examples are just to illustrate some ways in which the kanji are used and the focus there shouldn’t be put onto the readings but rather the kanji themselves. I am probably just getting ahead of myself trying to read as much kana as I can then getting scared haha

1 Like

You got me. I don’t actually know any Japanese.

17 Likes

@bassan, regarding the specific example of 人, here is a thread which might interest you: Fun with にん and じん.

3 Likes

I find it really confusing as well. I’m an absolute beginner as you can see and I’m progressing slowly but trying to really learn the basic readings Wanikani offers me.

Maybe it doesn’t help, but I’m writing this to comfort you: I’m learning level 2 now and I’ve already learned the differences and readings between にん and じん in a few contexts, meaning person, alone, couple, three people, nationalities… I know its nothing compared to the vastness of the language, but it’s something and I’m happy with what I’ve got in only two levels. It seems to me that the system really works! Don’t let anything get you down!

2 Likes

Feels like no WK forum thread can go more than 10-15 posts without someone derailing it in unnecessary ways.

Anyway, I’m sympathetic to the OP’s comments in the sense that I often find having a good compound word on hand helps me to remember the initially-taught kanji readings. For example the readings for 連 and 絡 weren’t sticking at first due to other visually similar kanji until I started thinking of them as the first and second part of a word I already knew, renraku/連絡. This has also been important for 関 and 係 (kankei/関係) and some others. (Though I just got 関 wrong a few minutes ago so I guess it’s not perfect!)

Of course not all of the vocab examples have to use the initially-taught kanji readings, and to an extent this relies on pre-existing familiarity with a word. I also imagine most users don’t ever mouse over the vocab at the end of each lesson! I often don’t. But it can be handy to have one good compound to grab onto early, at least in cases where it’s feasible.

As others have said though, the vocab using your kanji will come quickly, and the mnemonics are by and large a better way of initially remembering the reading than relying on already knowing a handy vocab.

Dude, seriously, apart from the fact that whatever you’re trying to write here in the forums in so-called ‘Japanese’ doesn’t help anyone, you should seriously take a few looks into some grammar books, your grammar is horrendous. Not judging, just advising. If you’re just trying to help, that’s very kind of you, but then at least try to do it correctly…

1 Like

Now that’s a useful reply! Thanks.

Thank you Wunderbunny, that is an interesting article from the OP.

I wonder - can a similar logic be applied to other compound kanji, If not to the same degree at least to an extent? Or is 人 a particularly friendly character?

This is the internet, it is serious business.

Anyways, there are lots of attempts at “explanations” for にん and じん but I’ve yet to find one that’s truly satisfactory without lots of exceptions, or where 人形 and 人気 fit into it. The historical answer is a bit simpler, but not particularly all that useful, 人 にん is the 呉音 reading while じん is the 漢音 reading.

1 Like

その間違い文法は、@julikanji さんが教えてください。

教える意味もない。一度文法の教科書を見るとわかるんだろ。

「教えって」って?
@julikanji は 「教えって」の意味が分からない?

You’re either trolling or you just completely proved my point. In the latter case, excuse me for not wasting my time but I really think it’d be better you just open a grammar book and read a little.

2 Likes

Ditto.

I’ve been wondering if a) horusscope’s account has been hacked or b) he be trollin’ us.

EDIT: After reading the entirety of this thread I’ve come to the conclusion the answer is B.

2 Likes