Why do characters in jojo's bizarre adventure drag out their じゃない\じゃねえ

so we were re-watching jojo’s and I found it really strange how the characters pronounce じゃない\じゃねえ。you guys think that there’s a reason behind this?

EDIT:

found some videos to show you what I mean

please check at 1:54 and 3:04

also here at 4:01 and 4:33

Are you talking about the colloquial ねえ for ない?

https://jisho.org/word/ねー

(someone who knows nothing about this series)

3 Likes

ねえ is just a masculine slurring of ない. This isn’t just a thing with JoJo, it’s commonplace in shonen anime that features tough guy characters. For example, you’ll always hear てめぇ, but never 手前(てまえ), it’s the same deal with おめぇ and お前.

4 Likes

oh I mean both. it’s kinda hard to explain via text but they have a certain way of saying both terms.

oh yeah I got that. it’s just a thing I noticed with jojo’s were they pronounce them a certain way. (I was too lazy to look for an example)

it’s like they sometimes tend to drag out the あ-sound. for example when they say「じゃああああないぞ」or when they’re saying 「これは遊び場合じあああねえ、この間抜けやろう」

Isn’t this just normal emphasis that’s shared between most languages?

“Ah, come oooon. This ain’t no time to be playin’ around. Get a loada this guy.”

Etc.

…Though normally that would be on the あい/えぇ.

4 Likes

Exactly, I personally think it would be super weird if the characters spoke textbook Japanese lol. It’s not really anything deep, as stated it’s just their manner of speaking.

2 Likes

that’s interesting. tbh I didn’t think of this possibility bc I noticed this kind of speech pattern mostly when I watched jojo’s so I got curious :joy: but maybe it really isn’t that deep

Then maybe see if you can find a YouTube video or somesuch.

1 Like

true, I just updated my post. thank you

1 Like

Here is a stackexchange question that answers yours.
Basically drawing out the あ sound could be for emphasis or just personal preference.

1 Like

Looks like the author used じゃあね・じゃあない in the manga so it carried through to the anime…although it doesn’t seem to mean anything different, like charlesfm said. Google images had a lot of examples of the manga with it written this way.

I found this link from hinative, that lists じゃあない as “isn’t it?” or “isn’t that?”

There’s also this fun-to-peruse Japanese chat thread that labels the extra あ an 言い回し (expression) . A lot of people seem to find it annoying, ha ha. 「アニメでも強調して言ってるのたまにウザい」etc.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.