Why did I just learn two kanji for "reason" back-to-back?

English has more synonyms than any other language on Earth by far! WOOT!

wait till you have to learn 光栄 (こうえい:honor) and 栄光 (えいこう:glory)。
I still mix up the two.

12 Likes

http://www.whompcomic.com/comic/the-smartest-klingon

I have no idea how this helps, but it feels relevant.

2 Likes

haha relevant but no it doesn’t help.

Jisho gives glory as another definition for 光栄… synonyms are a blessing from :crabigator:

Also, if you look at a monolingual dictionary you’ll see 大きな名誉 as a definition for 栄光, which is “a big honor”.

People fret about the English for those too much. Just learn what they mean in Japanese.

2 kanji with the same meaning that make up a word also with the same meaning is a joy!

I guarantee that within a few levels you’ll be adding synonyms to help you remember kanji/vocab using the same method.

Both kanji have their main translation as reason in WaniKani, but if you look them up they have different nuances of the meaning.

理: logic, arrangement, reason, justice, truth
由: wherefore, a reason

• The first (理) talks about human reason, a rational cause that made you behave in a certain way.
  • 由 is more about cause and effect, for example, you put ice in the sun and it melts.

There may be similar meanings, but originally the inventors of the kanji or their compounds had different ideas to create them.

11 Likes

omg, i am on this lesson right now and it is awful.

1 Like

According to JMDict 光栄 can mean both honor and glory, feel free to add some synonyms. Most people will be hard pressed to explain the difference, anyway.

1 Like

I felt this way too. It would be nice to have some kind of note about it. But I guess certain things can be hard to explain.

For example in english, glory and honor have similar meanings and are often used together. However while you might thank someone by saying it’s an honor, you would sound silly or stuck up to talk about your glory. At the end of the day you just have to see it in context. Think of WK as getting you to the point where you don’t feel like running away once you see it in the wild. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about all the words for “admission”?

3 Likes

I must admit that the admitter for the hospital admission was quite admissive, so I was admitted to enter.

5 Likes

omg and does a language really need so many words for “condition”??

I was conditioned to accept a conditional release from the institution on the condition that the new soft n’ silky conditioner would improve my condition.

4 Likes

I feel some of the more repeated are Master, if not main it is often an officially added synonym =P

I thought this illustrated explanation due to @Heiopei (dunno if it in turn was “stolen” from somewhere else) was very good, so I had to screen grab it. Sadly, to this day I still keep mixing them up.

6 Likes

Thanks for the props. Here’s a link to the post:

1 Like

I’m downloading that image to review several times. It just may help. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.