Why did たしょ disappear from the list of 他所's pronunciations?

According to jisho.org it’s pronounced たしょ. For よそ other kanji are used.

The link to the 他所’s page.

1 Like

他所 is listed on the よそ entry you linked to.

When multiple readings have differences in meaning, generally WK chooses only one, because otherwise it would imply they were perfectly equivalent.

3 Likes

よそ is the standard reading. Just asked a Japanese person what たしょ was and their response was “is that a word?” I’ve also never seen it fwiw

8 Likes

to be fair, the WK announcement I found mentioned moving よそ to the primary reading, while keeping たしょ as a secondary reading. Now it seems it has been removed. But, it does make sense to stick wtih よそ, which is the only reading i’ve encountered in the wild. :thinking:

It’s true that よそ and たしょ both have multiple kanji spellings and 他所 is simply the one they have in common, but they have the same meaning (at least the main sense; よそ has two others and たしょ one other), and よそ is far more common than たしょ. In all the entries using 他所 that Shirabe Jisho (which gets its info from the same place as Jisho) has, either it’s only read よそ, or it has both but たしょ is a separate entry and is not marked common while よそ is

I think when I’ve seen it in kanji, I’ve only seen 余所, but also I’ve never seen たしょ

6 Likes

This discussion will probably help me to get it correct the next time that it pops up in a review.

‘another place’ made sense from taking the on-yomi of the kanji, but よそ is the answer that WK was looking for (and which I got wrong during that recent review).

1 Like

I guess I should resurrect this one so I can learn it correctly? I only ever learned it as たしょ, didn’t even know よそ was another reading (let alone the more common one)

3 Likes

よそ is written in kana about 65-75% of the time (depending what corpus you’re looking at) so it’s not likely to be the highest priority word to learn the kanji form for.

FWIW, jpdb has よそ 63%; 他所 18%; 余所 17%. WWWJDIC’s google-corpus has 75% よそ / 20% 他所 5% 余所 and 75% / 18.5% / 7.5% for the Kyoto/Melbourne sentence corpus. (Interesting that jpdb is out of line with the other two – wonder if that’s a genuine corpus difference or just an artefact of using different text parsers.)

2 Likes

On Goo’s help page, they say the triangle symbol means that the reading isn’t taught as a compound reading for those two kanji in the joyo curriculum. That might or might not correlate with actually being common or uncommon, you can’t say with certainty.

4 Likes

See also: 他所 reading suddenly changed

Seeing as it affects 余所 but not 他所 as much, by bet is on the jpdb parser being the only one to take stuff like 余所行き and 余所見 and make them their own word.

1 Like