Why are we learning 'incorrect' radicals?

Sounds like wherever you’re from the children’s shows don’t have interesting characters.

1 Like

There are some really fun ones too. Like mullet!

Here’s the person who I think donned one like a pro.

bill hicks

Bill Hicks, god have his soul, mullet wearer like a pro.

3 Likes

Can we turn this into a Radicals Appreciation Thread?

Ya know what, I’m all for it! The replies here convinced me of the merits of WK’s radicals.

And that pic is extremely creepy. As if the teletubbies weren’t enough to mess up anyone’s childhood.

4 Likes

Don’t talk shit about the teletubbies mate, they were the bomb.

8 Likes

I really don’t see what is so creepy about that muppet. I also had to look it up though. I do find some of the references on this site are a bit too american-centric, but they mostly work. :slight_smile:

YOU KNOW NOTHING

7 Likes

How many drugs were the cast of that on?

1 Like

So what was the point you were making?

1 Like

I’m not sure anymore.

How many drugs were the cast of that on?

All of them

I actually really liked the Raptor Cage because I absolutely adore velociraptors (like most other 90s kids, I’m sure <_<). The fact that they linked it to Jar-Jar Binks as well has made that particular kanji well on it’s way to being burned.

It actually worked better than a lot of the mnemonics have because it tapped into stuff I’m specifically interested in.

So yeah, different strokes for different folks.

EDIT: Oh, something useful. You can add user synonyms to radicals, so if you really don’t like one, you can change it. I’d just make sure it isn’t used in too many kanji first, but in a case like Raptor Cage it should be fine.

I did that for the “woman” kanji- which has the radical defined as drawer for some reason. I know that kanji too well, so I was actually getting the radical wrong if I went too fast. Decided to take matters into my own hands for that one.

1 Like

What? Don’t you dare hate on Big Bird, he was an important part of my childhood! :worried:

1 Like

Maybe WK should stop calling them ‘radicals’ if the purpose/meaning etc is different…

3 Likes

… different people call radicals different things.
Even in Japan.

3 Likes

去 is another one I found kind of silly. We learn that as kanji at level 4, then it shows up 11 levels later as a radical under a different name.

At that point most people will be close to having it burned, so giving it a new name is kind of unnecessary.

2 Likes

As a new Japanese learner things like that actually scare me a lot. It’s like nothing is ever solid and certain :confounded:

Then again the poor soul on that forum apparently tried to learn just the radicals on their own. I hope they didn’t spend too much time on that…

It’s because they don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things… happens in literally every language.

Words can have more than one meaning, which is fine. I guess you could argue that WK could be a bit clearer about what they’re doing, but they don’t necessarily want to bog beginners down with this stuff.

Kanji parts/ingredients/components would be a better description of what is happening, radical is a strange technical term anyway, a beginner may rather think of chemical reactions or extremist groups or something …

If they’re thinking about chemical reactions and extremists on a language learning website, I think they have bigger problems than learning kanji tbh.

4 Likes