Why are there so many *BLEEP*ING readings for 日?

As someone else mentioned that English has some interesting constructions when it comes to spelling and pronunciation but through tough thorough thought though it can be understood.

5 Likes

I think you forgot a comma, there. But, that’s seriously fun! Also, continuing that train of thought:
http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

Here’s something my French teacher told us couple of decades ago. It was about French irregular verbs, but it applies to English verbs and Kanji and many other word types:

Like shoes, the ones you use most tend to be irregular.

You know how shoes you wear a lot get oddly shaped heels and scuff marks?
Words don’t get scuff marks, they just change slightly (or start differnt and never become rule-bound), but despite their weirdness, due to them being used so often, the irregularity doesn’t go away.
English: “to be”, “I am”, “I was”, they look like totally different words right? Why can’t we say “I be” and “I beed”? I mean come on, how easy would that be?
Now with verbs that not everyone uses all the time, rules that make sense establish themselves. You would have trouble remembering the proper usage if “deliberate” would change to “I dabugerage”, and “yesterday I dejuggernailed”.
But the version of these common ones stick around, becuase they get used all the frickin time. Those odd conjugations and tenses stick and refuse to become regular.

Now look at which Kanji are irregular: the kanji for “day”, the kanji for “life”, “up”, “down” etc. They tend to be very common, so the memory of these variations sticks around and they don’t settle on a single reading. So, if you’re frustrated with these, just know that you will encouter theses variations a lot, so either you remember them early by rote which will be worthwile, or you pick them up as you encounter them, which will be faily frequent.

5 Likes

I guess now is a bad time to mention that 日 is the most common kanji you will come across…

2 Likes

I had feeling that would be the case, but it’s the one I’m tripping over the most right now lol

I am not there quite yet (still on radicals and kanji on level 3, so I guess it is something for me to look forward to. For reference, 生 is the 29th most common kanji.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.