Why are radicals still inconsistent?

i thought with the update last year u tried to fix that, i still had the feel that some where inconsistent, but i definitely found proof now!
and
one times it is spikes and one time it is cactus? why? and even more so, i still find that all kanji that i have the most trouble with, is when a radical is in a non standard form. i know sometimes this is inivitable without adding many more radicals to a point where a one use radical just doesnt make sense, but when u have the option please be consistent!

2 Likes

Whether 嘘 looks like it has spikes or cactus depends on your font. Both are acceptable in Japanese.

1 Like

well i havent seen this so far, while i totally believe you. the standard font that i see on my machine for wanikani doesnt use the cactus variant, nor any font that jitai so far put for that kanji.

there must be a better way. if those variants exists then wanikani should teach that somehow. it shouldnt be on me to find that out by mere exposure (i know there are a lot of kanji when that exactly already happened)

edit: just googled and only the twentiestish image actually uses the other variant

(and that is from a film watched - i do definitely recommend it good film)

2 Likes

Kanjipedia lists the cactus form first and the spikes form as a 異体字, for what it’s worth.

https://www.kanjipedia.jp/kanji/0001445000

I’m not somewhere I can do much more research at the moment. 飴 has a similar situation, where the eat radical on the side can be the old form or new form based on font. I’m not sure what they’ll do, but the two radicals in each case are clearly related shapes, so it’s not too much of a stretch.

EDIT: BTW, when I posted this message on my phone, the 飴 character appeared with the new radical, and now on a PC it appears with the old.

1 Like

i see. jisho uses the spike variant for all the gif, stroke order img and the brush font variant

actually jisho calls the cactus form outdated

and theorectially 噓嘘 both variants exists as different characters

1 Like

The spike form definitely gets used more. But non-jouyou kanji haven’t been quite as strictly reformed as jouyou kanji it seems, so these kinds of “new and old forms are both okay” situations seems to happen more often.

That’s odd. I pasted both characters into Word (from their WK reference pages) and tried a bunch of different fonts and they’re all coming out as spikes…

That’s a good movie, lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps, “based on font” isn’t strictly accurate. But both variants exist as acceptable forms to write the kanji, and cactus is the original while spikes is the update.

戯 doesn’t seem to ever have have had cactus. Its 旧字 form uses 豆. But since that’s a 旧字 and 戯 is a jouyou kanji, the old form with 豆 wouldn’t be acceptable now (within reason… exceptions would be for if you are purposely trying to make something look old, like when 國 is used in place of 国 for style).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.