Why am I being taught the kun'yomi reading with this kanji reading character?

I’m a little confused as to why I’m being taught the kun’yomi reading with this: 虫 in Level 4.

As I understand it, the pink kanji reading practise is typically based on the on’yomi reading, but for some reason it is the kun’yomi reading being taught, despite the on’yomi being different.

I had a look at the vocabulary list for 虫 and no jukugo combinations use the on’yomi, therefore I assume there’s no point in learning the on’yomi, hence the reason for just teaching the kun’yomi?

EDIT: I stand corrected. There is ONE word that uses the on’yomi reading. Which therefore makes me more confused! Hah.

They (first) teach you the one that they feel would be most useful to you later. That’s usually the On’yomi, but occasionally its the Kun, if On is extra-rare.

I actually think it would be better to consistently stick to On, because then I wouldn’t have to remember which it wants. But it isn’t that big of a deal now that it doesn’t mark you wrong if you put the other reading (and it’s valid). It just hints that it wants the other one.

They teach the most frequent readings of the kanji which is usually but not always the on’yomi. I guess tah ffor this given kanji it is the kun’yomi the most frequent.

1 Like

The on’yomi of 虫 is not particularly rare. Still, they sometimes teach the kun’yomi first.

Basically, there aren’t a lot of easy words that use the on’yomi. The most common words that use the on’yomi are probably 昆虫 (insect, in a scientific sense), 爬虫類 (reptile), 害虫 (harmful insect), and 寄生虫 (parasite).

They’re all words that Japanese people know, but none of them are on the same level of easiness as むし. None of them are in the top 10000 most frequent words at jpdb either.

6 Likes