Who Has Reached Higher Levels with no Scripts? Raise Your Hands

This dude trolled @Leebo, an easy top 5 positive contributor on this board in my book, on a post from 2 months prior, then responds to every post saying to stop responding. I’m kind of impressed.

3 Likes

Oh hey, its the alt-right dude who called me a snowflake. Guess trolls know trolls, eh?

1 Like

Just so you’re aware, this conversation has run afoul of Wanikani’s usage guidelines.
Please keep it civil.

https://community.wanikani.com/guidelines

7 Likes

7 Likes

Best counter-argument I have ever seen. I am sold.

1 Like

Ever since I started using scripts, WK has become much easier. The plain no script way to go is fine, but I’d often get frustrated by the randomness of the radicals, kanji, and vocab- the flow just always felt clunky.

But coming across the Reorder script was a huge revelation. It was like, hey, I can sort by type! Oh, and 1x1 mode? A godsend. Sorting by level is awesome too. Just everything in that script makes reviews a breeze. Sticks to my memory better, too.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s been said to death, but doing WK without scripts is no more of an achievement than doing it with (as long as you didn’t straight up cheat, duh).

To say otherwise is to be that grumpy old guy at work who looks at efficient things from the 21st century and says “nyehh all these young’uns using all the computers; back in my day we had to do real work.” Whatever grandpa…

1 Like

I didn’t start using scripts until…I don’t remember exactly but I think it was last yearish. I installed wanikani timeline, reorder (to see vocab first), ignore script, and some of the supplemental information ones. I had the jitai script installed but my accuracy wasn’t great at the time and that just made it worse. XD

Anyways, if nothing else, I can’t live without ultimate timeline.

No. For example, you could mistype a word and, without the ignore script, have to lower that word by an SRS level (potentially a month) just for not typing well.

Another example is the lightning mode script (or w/e), which skips the second enter key which lets you view the answer if you type it correctly. That can add up, trust me.

Yet another is the final countdown script. Basically, it gives you 10 (I set it to 15) seconds to type in the answers, or it’ll be counted wrong. You can imagine how that speeds up your review session.

The only script is a basic lesson re-ordering because I want my new radicals dammit!

1 Like

The screenshots I’ve seen of the scripted dashboards looks appealing. I’ve been meaning to try a few out, but I don’t know how they work and every time I go to the beginner’s thread that is inevitably linked I get through three sentences before my auto-pilot says BACK TO HOME SCREEN TIME TO CHECK FOR REVIEWS…

Which is really me just nope’ing out of reading instructions :wink:
one day…

I disagree. Some scripts are innocuous but others are plain cheating, for example the lightning mode script. But in the end it doesn’t matter, everybody can define their own measure of success. I definitely wouldn’t feel like I achieved anything if I finished wanikani using scripts like the one mentioned above, but I understand and respect that other people feel differently.

Why’s lightning mode cheating? Just means you need to press enter one less time if you get answers correct…

Okay then I completely misunderstood what it does. I thought it acted as Memrise and flags an answer as correct without the need of pressing enter (basically as soon as you type the last caracter it becomes green. So if it doesn’t become green you know something’s off and can edit until you get a green light). If it only removes the second enter then it’s definitely innocuous :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.