Who Has Reached Higher Levels with no Scripts? Raise Your Hands

Okay, I thought something like that was the case. I thought a year was the minimum to get to 60.

0 Likes

12 Likes

petition to get this vocab added

1 Like

Japan has a population of 127 million people, the internet claims at a 99% literacy rate. I would venture to guess most of them reached a high level of kanji knowledge without using any user scripts…

Learn Kanji however you want.

2 Likes

Appreciate the links mate. Super helpful

1 Like

Check the forum’s list of resources if you haven’t already :slight_smile: There’s a bunch of useful stuff there:

0 Likes

I got to about Level 20 before I used scripts. I think one of the main ways to stay motivated is to read the forums. Even if its just for a quick break between reviews.
I kept reading about scripts and I was worried about using them because I didn’t want to abuse the re-order or override scripts. That said, Ultimate Timeline has really helped me plan out my reviews, AND I get really excited when I see a bunch of burn items coming down the line.

1 Like

I got to level 6 or 7 I think until I got the override and reorder. It’s not a high level at all but I got it cause I could not stand how nervous I got during reviews and how I had to check answers over and over again before submitting them. I am planning on doing 7 days a level for as long as possible so therefore reorder makes sense to me.

I used to think of scripts as “cheating” but now I enjoy learning things at a nice pace rather than rushing through all the vocab lessons to get to radical and kanji lessons.

1 Like

I do all of my Wani-ing and Kani-ing at work where I can’t install scripts. There are definitely times where having the override script would help! The only outside help I use is KaniWani, especially helpful since I’ve taken a lot of long breaks over the years.

As others have said, it’s not impossible, just slower.

1 Like

Yeah, I do a lot of mine at work too and the lack of Override is killer. I only have access to that because of the App though, I don’t have any scripts.

I am genuinely curious though, what is the value of the reorder for leveling up faster? I’ve never looked into it but I would certainly like to progress faster if I can.

0 Likes

If you do all reviews at once there is little time benefit, maybe you can safe one hour by doing radicals and kanji first. However, many people prefer to distribute their vocab over a longer period, and if new vocab lessons are “blocking” new kanji you would go slower than necessary.

Going fast just involves doing all radical and kanji lessons as soon as possible and not messing them up until guru (you can only have few errors, otherwise you stay below the 90% for the next level just because of one kanji or so).

0 Likes

You can mess the kanji up as much as you want during the first half of the week though, so long as you get the radicals right.

It’s only after you guru the radicals and unlock the second set of kanji that you can only fail 10% (usually 3 out of 30).

0 Likes

Thanks! I misunderstood the idea of the “reordering” and thought you could move all of the kanji to the first set of lessons and level up super-fast that way without having the kanji broken up into each half of the level. I always do all of my reviews at the same time so I guess it wouldn’t do much more me ultimately, at least not at my level.

0 Likes

:raising_hand_man:

2 Likes

Even if you do all of your reviews in one session, leveling up can introduce 70+ lessons, so it can take an hour or more to get through all the new radicals if you haven’t reordered them. As a result, you’ve lost an hour off of the minimum level up time. I realize it’s not “important” in the grand scheme of things, I’m just explaining why reordering can impact level-up speed.

2 Likes

I also sometimes use the reorder script when I’m short on time. Since Vocab don’t effect level up. I might reorder Kanji so I can knock them out before work, and then do Vocab when I get home and have more time to focus. This let’s me get to work on time without having to sacrifice level up speed.

0 Likes

Those are both great points! I always do all my level-up lessons at once, but I’ve never thought about the time it takes to get through the radicals/kanji or only doing radical/kanji reviews to save time or break up the batches. Reorder would definitely be super helpful in both cases.

0 Likes

Another thing that others haven’t said, but I regularly use one of the mark-right scripts to actually mark some of my answers wrong if WK accidentally accepted a wrong answer.

0 Likes

[UserScript] WaniKani Double Check? I thought it was broken by an official WaniKani update, and will never be fixed.

Although I use No Cigar, I would prefer to mark things as wrong sometimes as well (and probably blacklist some of the correct answer).

0 Likes

Yep! It works for me both on Chrome and android Firefox.

ETA holy cow I got a sect name

5 Likes