Who are all these characters?

Ok I may have gotten myself to level 14 but I still don’t have the foggiest idea who any of these characters/people/entities are and with their names now coming up now with almost every new word I just had to ask.
(Note: I don’t read manga, lurk on this forum or other sites which prolly explains why I don’t have a clue)

So who are all these characters? (Edit: Thanks, have updated with your responses)

コウイチ (耕一) … Founder
ビエト … Founder
トーフグ (豆河豚・豆腐豚) … Company name
フグ … Character name
サーモン … Character name
Etc…

(Feel free to let me know who I’ve missed and I’ll add them to the list)

4 Likes

Koichi and Viet are the founders of WaniKani. Tofugu is the name of their company (WaniKani is just one service they provide, although it’s arguably their main one). Fugu and Salmon are just characters created for those example sentences.

6 Likes

Now I wonder what is the Kanji for Koichi and Tofugu.

1 Like

Well, I’ve seen コウイチ written as 光一。
Light one. The one light we have to show us the way of learning Japanese. Quite symbolic.
As for tofugu, as far as I know, it’s a combination of words “tofu” 豆腐 and “fugu” 河豚、so I don’t know how it should be written in kanji… If we merely unite the words, we’ll get “tofufugu” 豆腐河豚 with one extra “fu”…

4 Likes

Is it とう or と?

1 Like

Well, the 豆腐 is spelled 「とうふ」、so it should be 「とう」

1 Like

Wow that was quick … I have updated the post with your responses … thanks!
Guess that puts my overcurious mind at rest.

2 Likes

Koichi himself said it was 耕一 if I remember correctly. Let me check.

It is.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/wanikani-wednesday-feat-koichi%E6%A7%98/33969/167

3 Likes

Thank you!
I see. Plow one. Well, in a way, our minds are like soil for planting the seeds of knowledge, and he is like a plow that cultivates them into knowledge…

3 Likes

ビエト is the guy who brought the durtles back to life just now:

2 Likes

It’s spelled on their twitter トーフグ

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.