When to start reading

Leave @Leebo alone!

He obvious put zero time into writing “yesterday” it’s not mean, it’s not jerkish, it’s just not all that helpful. Roll your eyes and move on! We all know he actually means… Just do it. You don’t need to ask permission.

Also @Perongen! You better not stop posting!!! If Leebo makes you mad, flip him off and ask any even stupider question! And then search all his posts and reply to every single one with the dumbest question you can think of, but you better not stop posting!

TLDR: Leebo Never change! Perongen Never Change! I just love everyone!

4 Likes

Why are you guys freaking out? “Yesterday” is a perfectly reasonable way of saying “you might as well start right now”. Could he have elaborated? Sure. Did he sound like a jerk in the post? Not at all.

4 Likes

Why would I leave him alone, if I want to see his reasoning behind his actions? Is that too much to ask? I’m not telling him to change who he is, I’m telling him to stop himself for being forced to put out these meaningless comments. If it took him zero time to post that comment, why even bother? It’s not like he’s forced to answer the guy, and if he actually wants to answer him, then maybe he could put in some effort, instead of sounding like an arrogant elitist? But I guess that’s too much too ask…

If you are directing this to me, well please read the OP’s comment and what he asked and then reflect on what “yesterday” suggests. To me, it sounds very downputting towards the guy asking the question, and yes It’s actually really rude. The reaction from the OP clarifies that even more.

And like I stated in my comment, this comment of his alone wasn’t what I was focusing on. He tends to do this a lot.

It’s not rude, just blunt. But whatever.

The reason I didn’t write much is because there wasn’t much I thought needed to be said.

@Metamorphosis I don’t get your reaction, and I’m on my phone in Tokyo, and there’s no reason to hijiack a thread to justify me being an unhelpful WK user. I don’t know if you’re overreacting, but I think you’re over thinking my intentions.

1 Like

Idk if this is just the fashion of the new forums or not, but this is how posts always used to be written, so there really isn’t a problem with it, and what Leebo wrote wasn’t mean at all. Can people on here be rude & crass? Of course. Was that? Not really.

It’s a forum; people can write simple stuff & move, ESPECIALLY with this weird new format. Get over it.

As for OP, the best way to reinforce what you learn is through listening & reading. Without that, you can memorize by rote as much as you want but it likely won’t stick, and you won’t really know what the word even means. You need to read and watch and listen in order to actually learn how a word is used and where it’s appropriate.

I haven’t really formally studied grammar cuz I’m a bad kid, but with enough exposure, you start to pick up a lot. So honestly, for real, just get into as fast as you can.

And there’s a lot of doorknobs on this site so don’t feel bad about what you post lol; it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

I think you just have to start reading as soon as possible no matter what. Anything, from children’s storybooks to newspaper articles. And specially out loud. It will help a lot with your pronunciation, confidence, overall active learning stuff.

1 Like

@Leebo There’s no reason for me to hijack the thread, but putting up these sorts of comments is perfectly fine appearently. It’s common on the new forums as far as I can see it. I have never said that you are an unhelpful WK user, I actually pointed out in my comment that many times I find you a decent guy, and you have a lot of valuable input!

I was just curious as to why you post, if you think there’s nothing to be said about the topic. Then don’t post, simple.
Ye I might be overreacting/overthinking, I have had a shitty day and I’m not in the greatest mood but I guess I will never find out your reasonings behind it.

Anyway, I’m done. I’m sorry for hijacking the thread.
Peace.

To be fair, this question has been asked on the forums for years and years and years. The responses people give usually end up the same. It’s probably not the best for the lower levels, but people who’ve been here for a long time start to get a little tired of seeing the same posts & usually give short, curt responses.

I said there wasn’t much to be said. What I said still has the meaning of get out there and just do it, but in less words. He, and maybe you, assumed that I was condescending, but I wasn’t making a judgement. We all could and should do more, most of the time.

BTW the hijack line was about why I’m not going to respond to you point by point.

2 Likes

I can understand that. But, man if I had the privilage to share my knowledge about the Japanese language like you veterans are able to do. I would be sitting in the forum all day, helping people, and my review pile would be the size off Mount Fuji. I tend to do that on Hinative for my own native language, and It’s such a great feeling helping out people, if I had the privilage to do that with Japanese that I love so much, I would be thrilled.
And if I was annoyed about something that has been asked a milion times before, then maybe I would just skip that question altogether (People asking how to say Hi in Japanese or Swedish on Hinative comes to mind.)

And I’m not against short and and curt responses, but Leebo’s answer just felt so unputting, lazy and meaningless that’s all. Like not answering at all, would have been more insightful.

Well his post didn’t just ask “When should I start reading?” That’s why I felt that your post was uncalled for, and pretty downputting. And this is not a single time that you have done this, and it feels sad that you have to put effort into stuff like this once in a while, when you could simply turn away and move on with your day, that’s all.

Like I said, I don’t want to continue derailing the thread even more than I have already, so I’m done now. I’m sorry if my reaction was uncalled for, and I hope my input on this won’t be frowned upon by you Leebo.

Take care!

My grammar level is actually really low unfortunately. I’ve just recently started learning it more, which leaves me somewhere at the end of genki I. Still, I can read NHK easy pretty well, and learn a lot of grammar through it too :slight_smile: I think the fact that wanikani teaches so many words made it possible for me to understand.

Good luck to you and please don’t hesitate to post any questions!

1 Like

At least for me, I suggest reading after finishing basic grammar, for example, after finish reading Genki 2 or Tae Kim.

1 Like

If you are reading the texts in Genki 2, you should be fine. You dont need to read anything else for the moment. After you finish Genki 2, you can start reading easy manga/easy nhk news/satori reader/easy visual novels and such.

Some people might say that this is too early but I occasionally enjoy reading and listening to visual novel type games. It is nice to listen, read and have visual input to help you understand the context. As long as you are careful/aware of the fact that some language used is strange, exaggerated anime language it can be a tool for learning vocabulary or motivate you as you understand some of it.

If not relevant at the moment, maybe try it out later down the road.

My personal favourite at the moment:

1 Like

I just downloaded the Japanese patch and was just going to start playing, I’m excited now!!!

Ah I’m so jealous! I only have the English version. Might as well download the Japanese version when I’ll decide to go for a second playthrough. Have fun!

1 Like

I completely second this; I don’t think you’re ever too early to start doing stuff like this, tbh. Having a good grasp as to how the language is actually used, even when exaggerated, will help you secure it in your mind, and the exposure will help you pick up on other things more naturally that you would probably have to nail into your head over and over again if you were just learning by the book.

Personally, I’m a proponent of just listening even if you don’t understand. Slowly, over time with study, it’ll start to make more sense and you’ll be able to pick out more words, but just listening to & getting a good feel for the language is really important.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.