When is 先生 used in unconventional teaching?

I don’t fully understand to what extent 先生 is used when not in a classroom situation. Is Koichi called 先生, because he made WaniKani? How about someone like Tae Kim, or Misa from Japanese Ammo? Or someone just making a YouTube tutorial?

Thanks for any help you can give, as this is confusing me a bit. :smile:

1 Like

Maybe this would help?

In general usage, it is used, with proper form, after a person’s name and means “teacher”; the word is also used as a title to refer to or address other professionals or persons of authority, such as clergy, accountants, lawyers, physicians and politicians or to show respect to someone who has achieved a certain level of mastery in an art form or some other skill, e.g., accomplished novelists, musicians, artists and martial artists.

5 Likes

And interestingly enough, I’ve heard it used to get the attention of restaurant / cafe staff.

1 Like

This article seems pretty in depth too!

Nice article, thank you for sharing! Just a had a read through it and it cleared up some of my confusion. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So… Sometimes? :stuck_out_tongue: It definately seems like more of a case-by-case situation based on their experience and preference instead of a generic “Yeah, everyone on youtube can be sensei”. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.