When english in not your native language

You ever had a harder time when learning a kanji because it’s story is about someone thats popular in america or the word it uses to help you remeber is one that you have never heard of XD like the aardvark from a vocab “to raise”, i had to google it to even remotely remember the reading.

15 Likes

The (てい) tater tots!!! what even are they??

23 Likes

Yeah! Sometimes I end up googling the meaning or the translation for a word I don’t really know.

And sometimes I come up with my own mnemonics in my native language, that helps me a little bit more than the ones given.

8 Likes

Tater tots are heaven. Tater tots are givers of life.

7 Likes

Tater tots are little lumps of fried potato. Very delicious.

17 Likes

Is that even English though? O_O looks like Dutch or something to me.

3 Likes

Yup, anytime a celebrity is used, doesn’t help I don’t really keep up with actor’s names at all.

5 Likes

It’s an animal…I have no idea where the name comes from.

6 Likes

i think that’s the reason i stopped using the mnemonics :smiley:

also, being extremely lazy, i’ve managed to memorize some words without knowing their actual meaning: “cleat” for example. no matter how many times i google it, a minute later i’ve forgotten what it is

6 Likes

It comes from Afrikaans.

7 Likes

It’s actually South-African, which is almost the same as Dutch (even more like Dutch than German). So good guess :wink: (The Dutch is Aardvarken)

Dagnit, got Leebo’d.

6 Likes

When I had to google “chute”. I was like what on Earth is that?
But it’s also good because I practise both English and Japanese at the same time.

4 Likes

Yeah, they’re pretty specific words. Thankfully I love learning vocabulary, so it’s a bonus lol

2 Likes

Tayra Banks. Like… who’s that

3 Likes

I know a Tyra Sanches, though. I got off the hook on that one, thanks God

you heathen

1 Like

Actually the dutch took it from south-African (or whatever Afrikaans is) and we anglicized it from them to aardvark

I can’t help them not being available in my country :(( I wish tho, they look delicious

1 Like

I’m from America and still struggle with celebrity names :sweat_smile:

15 Likes

I assumed as much :wink: just mentioned the similarities to jneapan to show that his guess that Aardvark was Dutch was actually quite logical.