What's your worst leech?

Mine looks like a tie. For 改まる (あらた)、I keep mixing it up with 現’s kun (あらわ) basically everytime I come across it. 省く I find myself very close to getting right, but almost every time I’ll put
はばく instead of はぶく.

A lot of the times that I forget readings, I throw in something from a gut feeling and find that I’m pretty close to the correct reading. For example, just the other day I came across 求める (もとめる)and put ほとめる instead. It may have been wrong, but I was about 90% of the way to the correct reading with my recall so it should be easier to get the last bit corrected (or so I would think until I get 省く wrong for the 10th time :sob:)

1 Like

I just rediscovered 一生 as quite annoying. I actually remembered that I means “whole life” and that a small “tsu” is involved, but I thought it was “issei” … “Isshou” is really weird.

2 Likes

Ever heard of 一生懸命? That might help you remember.

本当に。。。I haven’t. But good to know, that it comes up in other compounds sometimes.

1 Like

I also struggle with that one. But, mostly because I keep spelling it icchou. :tired_face:

That’s a great phrase and one that I already know. Didn’t connect it to isshou, but from now on I will!

1 Like

I keep on mixing 交わる, 交じる and 交ぜる. Get it, mixing… Get it!!! GET IT??? Ok, I’ll see myself out.

12 Likes

Right now the worse are these groups

痛む
傷つく
傷つける

and

理論
論理

I just can’t keep them right in my head. I can read them all day long but the meanings just won’t stick.

3 Likes

I memorized this one by the vowel sounds. Ronri, Logic. I checked to make sure I had them straight :laughing:

3 Likes

I don’t know these, but I had a “phase”, where I just could not remember out of 王女 and 女王 which was princess, which was queen.

Without checking right now I think 女王, the female king is the queen, just to make 王女 line up with 王子。

2 Likes

That’s right! I said it the other way around in calligraphy class the other day :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I’ll try that to see if it works. Nothing else sticks.

1 Like

I come here to express my hatred of:
主人 and 住人
One being しゅじん
The other being じゅうにん

It’s bad enough that there’s almost no rule about whether 人 is じん or にん without adding in similar sounding Shu and Ju, grrr.

See also the damn にち vs じつ sun.

8 Likes

I always remember the reading for 改まる by thinking of 新た, since I’m pretty sure that’s where it comes from.

3 Likes

My newest “favorites” are the words containing 安全. Peace, safety, relief etc…

2 Likes

At this point, my worst leech would appear to be 黄, as it’s the only one from the first ten levels I’ve managed not to burn. I always seem to mix it up with 横.

1 Like

For my I have a really big problem with 土 I get so confused with the different pronunciations and do, tsuchi, and chi I don’t know whats going on anymore.

3 Likes

Don’t talk to me about this one. I keep confusing 内 (うち) and 土 (つち). Both use similar mnemonics about cheese. Arrgh.

First place is actually shared right now, but the worst offenders are:

1. 六日 (reading ofcourse, I can’t believe I still haven’t gotten rid of this one)
  2. 用意 (due to the ambiguous meaning, the combination of these two kanji don’t add up in my head)
  3. 正確 (both reading and meaning I get wrong too often, not sure why)

I hope that highlighting just these will help me remember them a bit better :upside_down_face:

1 Like

On the bright side, 内(うち)should be incredibly common in any other material you study eventually, so you shouldn’t have trouble for too long as long as you’re doing other forms of study too.

3 Likes

I’m about to unlock these two. I noticed them already and am already fearing how to keep them apart! :joy:

3 Likes