What's your reason for learning Japanese?

Shinkansen slow

I read book on earth

Earth go 1,300,000 miles per hour

8 Likes

Reminds me of this:

9 Likes

日本のVチューバに夢中に成った。

3 Likes

I want to learn Japanese because I found a Tin in the pantry when I was 6. I could not read what it was. At school you had to do a topic book and I choose Japan. I still have it. I have been interested ever since to learn more about this very different place. Finally I have time to learn the language.

5 Likes

Everyone here seems to have such good reasons to learn Japanese. Meanwhile I just do it because I love languages. And the more I learn about Japanese the more I want to be able to read and speak fluently. It’s just such a clever language, the writing system alone is extremely clever and imho superior to roman letters.
I’ve been learning new languages since I was 6 years old (started out with English, German is my mother tongue). Japanese always fascinated me, but I thought it was too hard so I stuck with european languages like French and Italian. Found out studying Japanese on your own is actually not THAT hard a little while ago and here I am.

4 Likes

I want to sing along with Miku.
I connect with certain otaku subcultures more than I connect with my native culture.
I want to read niche manga.
I visited Japan once, I want to visit more.
Now I’m on the 日本語 train and I can’t get off.

3 Likes

I wanted to play Final Fantasy 7 in Japanese and now that I’ve done it I just want to get better at Japanese. I don’t have any goal anymore.

2 Likes

I don’t play games too much sry Idk what that game is

1 Like

for the challenge of learning a language

I dont follow almost nothing in japanese media. The only one is game center cx.

My goal is to be able to see the episodes without having to wait for someone to make subtitles for it. Or any other similar tv program I maybe encounter out there.

2 Likes

One word: Anime

Other reason: As I am getting older, need something to keep the mind busy. As they say “use it or lose it”.

2 Likes

My reasons to learn japanese are light novels and visual novels.

The community does a great job getting these translated, but it would be nice to, one day, be able to read it in its original language by myself.

3 Likes

It’s a game from 1997 and in the West it’s (probably) the most famous Japanese game ever made. drdru might be referring to the remake from 2020 though. I’ve never played either of them, but they both have AMAZING music. If you’ll excuse me I’m gonna go listen to the soundtrack again…

2 Likes

Oh seeing an anime or a movie in Japanese is my reason too

1 Like

Welcome and yeah studying helps our brain.

1 Like

Yeah sometimes some translators oelr words make us better understand something

1 Like

Me also, it has a logic to it.

2 Likes

I am referring to the one from 1997, one of humankind’s greatest achievement.

2 Likes

anon91618094? That’s a bit concerning, considering other things he’s said about his problems with subscribing…

1 Like

I started out with a small pocketbook a few years ago because I liked otaku culture.
I also really like art, and that includes Japanese art. I became interested in kanji because of the Japanese calligraphy artist in Barakamon. I thought, how can you put so much emotion into writing?
Now, I’ve grown to find the Japanese language fascinating. It’s so different from the languages that I know (French, English and Norwegian), built completely differently and the writing system is amazing.
I had no idea how hard the language was at first but I’m still here anyway, haha. I really like the challenge, and it’s fun to exercise my memory as lately school has not been giving me enough of that.
I’ve just started using wanikani and so far it seems pretty useful!! Looking forward to the journey ahead.

1 Like

I want to get into the japanese tea business. I primarily want to source directly from the farmers and from what I understand, a good amount do not speak English. The rural areas where the farms are located are also less likely to have people able to speak English so Japanese is a bit of a necessity.

3 Likes