What's your favorite Kanji and WHY?

無言
It strikes me as a strong kanji and it just gives off a feeling of uniqueness even though individually the kanji aren’t all that complex. Imagine reading and you just see 無言 pop out of nowhere…its so beautiful

These are my favorites at the moment: 宇 and 加.

宇 because I find it simple yet elegant and soft. I don’t remember who, but I’ve read someone say that hiragana is more beautiful for its curvy writing while katakana is harder on the eyes because of the many straight lines and angles. I find the same logic in liking 宇. The particular curves of the antenna radical make it very charming. And the meaning “outer space” is also fascinating. I can almost picture that kanji written with stars.

加 because I just like the mnemonic I made up for it. The meaning is “add” and the reading is カ. Someone who adds power (力) through their mouth (口) is Kirby (カービィ). I think I’ll never forget this one.

This pair: 十二, because it’s my family name, “Jouni”, simply read as “じゅうに”.
Also this guy which I love so much: 冬, the word means a special thing to me.

I like this kanjis can\t decide which 男 性 器

Welp, i changed my mind.
now 閄 will be always my favorite kanji.
it has a long reading, i will never forget the meaning of it cause of the radicals :slight_smile:
And its looks beautiful.
Also 沢. it looks sad and cute to me. well i said that in my previous answer, lol.

I think 茶 is a my favourite. It looks beautiful (symmetric), it looks so peaceful… and the mnemonic is so cruel!!
Just perfect.

~T :lion:

I’m wondering if the people who list symmetry as a reason for liking the kanji feel differently about, for instance, the versions of the kanji written in brush strokes, which are inherently asymmetrical.

Err, as far as I can see, it doesn’t.
https://kanji.jitenon.jp/kanjip/7866.html

The meaning is indeed easy to remember, though :slight_smile:

This page lists some ridiculous 訓読み for it, with a note that they aren’t in common use.

https://www.wdic.org/w/CUL/閄

The last two of those come from a music video :thinking:
The first one comes from a dictionary, but it’s literally a sentence giving the meaning of the kanji, which is kinda weird for a reading.

I want to believe that the dictionary intended that description to actually be… a description of a sound that you make and that sound itself is the kunyomi. This sound that is impossible to express in written characters and can only be described.

Because, let’s be honest, obviously that description is not an actual kunyomi.

I’d be curious if someone could look in that dictionary itself.

My guess is someone just pasted the meaning in the kunyomi field by accident.

Actually, that’s exactly what the link you gave says above :stuck_out_tongue:

諸橋轍次著「大漢和辞典」において、この字を「急にとびだして人を驚かせるこゑ」と説明したことが全ての発端である。
そもそも、これは文字の「説明文」であって「訓」ではない。

(Emphasis mine)

Makes you wonder why they even bothered to explain that rather than just fix their page.

I like 再 because it looks a bit like the torii, a structure that has always mesmerized me (especially the one in front of Itsukushima Shrine, which looks like it’s floating on water). Also because it has the reading サイ which is my name :slight_smile:

I do love writing 戦 義 優 with a brush though… Well-rounded characters comprising both straight-lined and curved strokes…

ooh, maybe the site i found it was wrong idk.
but i still love it.
ifeelsoembarrasedohmygod

thanks for noticing btw!

焼 because almost everything delicious has this kanji :kissing_closed_eyes:

Sure thing. I love that kind of kanji too :slight_smile:

蔘(ちょうせんにんじん)is the longest reading I could find, by the way :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the Kanji for tree and also for origin. It’s simple but it really does look like a tree. And it shows the deep natural philosophy in the language

I love all of the very first kanji I learned: 藥、猫、山、悪魔、光、火、水, 犬,木、日本、学生