What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

Or @pragmata

5 Likes

So I encountered 努 which wanikani translates as “toil”.
Not really sure what toil means but at least i get it right on the reviews with a handy mnemonic: a woman on a stool (toilet) is using force. She is going to need toiletpaper. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble. Thanks, high school English class.

“Toil” means significant effort or exertion. It generally has a negative connotation (in English: I’m not sure about the Japanese equivalent); whatever is a toil is a struggle. “You’ve been lounging about all day while I’ve been toiling away?”

Examples in Japanese (via Jisho):

2 Likes

Estuary, that was in 2014 when I first started. Now I could not see that word in Wanikani. Maybe I was hallucinating? haha
No more after that, then, Conflagration, this year.

2 Likes

Eaves and Cedar.
I looked up what they meant in my native language and I didn’t know the words there either.

Maybe I’m just dumb.

2 Likes

How about eaves made of cedar? :slightly_smiling_face:

cedar-board-and-batten-siding-and-soffit-julie-kardatzke-architect-llc-img~bda1a63000513335_4-8246-1-e48d057

8 Likes

I have massive cedar trees outside my bedroom window. Maybe they’re just not common in your region. I don’t know the names of a lot of foreign plant life.

2 Likes

Cedar is, unfortunately, way too common in Japan since World War II, and a huge problem. :grimacing: For anyone curious:

4 Likes

Excellent. Now I have something to direct my frustration towards in between using full packs of tissues in one go.

2 Likes

I looked up the Japanese cedar trees, and they look nothing like the ones in my area. These are images from a local park guide. They’re really big here.

5 Likes

Cedar is one of many natural classifications that was used long before we knew anything about genetics. People called things a “cedar” if they kind of looked like another tree that they would have called “cedar”

For me this is cedar:

Incense Cedar

Western Red Cedar

But neither of these are actually “true cedars”, they’re Thujas in the Cypruss family. The actual Cedar trees are in the Pine family and are mostly only found in the Mediterranian.

The japanese cedar is another cypruss but it’s not directly related to the western cedars up above. I’m guessing someone was comparing the japanese trees to those trees when coming up with the name in english, especially cause they’re other name is “japanese redwood”.

Here’s wikipedia’s list for all the different trees called “cedar”: List of plants known as cedar - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Thank you for explaining :slight_smile: We have the Western Red Cedar where I live.

2 Likes

Ah, as with most things in nature, cedar trees have a number of variations too. And the Japanese Cedar in particular seems to have evolved to make nearby humans miserable. Though I don’t think we can ascribe intention to it, it certainly feels like revenge.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. :joy:

2 Likes

Technically, everyone was sharing the names of different varieties of cedar trees, all thanks to Wanikani, so new vocabulary was learnt.

2 Likes

Classifying trees genetically is surprisingly confusing

3 Likes

“overthrow”. I can lead a revolution in any english-speaking country now :fist:

5 Likes

Triceratops. I think that’s the only dinosaur name I know.

3 Likes

Other than Velociraptors, they’re the coolest.

ok, I have not reached the level yet, but Cedar and Eaves are new to me as well.
I kept thinking about Cheddar… but maybe because I’m fasting and I’m hungry. Haha

3 Likes

I thought after Wisteria that I would be done learning new words…

9 Likes