What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

Really racked my brain over what exactly hollyhocks and lapis lazuli looked like, but made it to 60 without encountering any actually new English words.

…Though I will say, I used to read “chastise” and “admonish” more or less interchangeably, so drilling 諭、懲、討、戒告、訓戒、and 懲罰 over and over really drilled in the nuances of those words more than I ever had before in English.

2 Likes

Originally due to WaniKani SRS, but revisited today – Is it 'Hung' or 'Hanged'? | Merriam-Webster

And then, today I learned wend.

2 Likes

Mission accomplished.

1 Like

Contemporary was new to me… It feels old fashioned

3 Likes

There’s a certain irony in that.

4 Likes

Superfluous (冗). Means unnecessary, especially through being more than enough.

Asked my husband if he knew this weird ‘super-fluous’ word and he was like ‘‘You mean soo-pur-floo-uhs? Yeah I know it.’’

… I was not prepared for it being pronounced like that.

6 Likes

In Japanese, when you see 冗, more often than not it’s going to be in the word 冗談.

3 Likes

So you’re saying that learning the meaning of that kanji would be… superfluous?

2 Likes

Make sure you put the stress on “pur” to pronounce it correctly :+1:

2 Likes

ford / wade

Not so much a new word, but I’ve learned I have absolutely no idea how to spell onomatopoeia

7 Likes

Always annoys me they didn’t just stick ‘u’ in at the end and get all the vowels in.

(although y is a vowel, I’ll die on that hill)

1 Like

Larynx.

I had no idea this word existed. Then I found out that it’s sometimes also called that in my native language (probably medicinal), although we normally call it something that translates to “throat head”.

4 Likes

“Voice box” is the more casual term in English.

4 Likes

Yeah, I saw it mentioned in the vocab item, but I didn’t know that word either, so it was quite hard to remember. :laughing:

3 Likes

Filial piety.

3 Likes

This one caught me off guard as well, though the one that I had and still have the most trouble remembering is admonishment / admonition, I’ve just hardly ever seen the word pop up throughout the years.

1 Like

I just recently learned to ratify.
Even after looking it up I don’t think I fully know what it means.

4 Likes

I remember being in that situation too until Kumi used it in a context I could understand, haha

4 Likes