What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

I was surprised to learn “din” the other day, as in loud noises, like a ruckus.

5 Likes

Difference between “pro athlete” and “athlete”.

1 Like

Lots of people are learning it from wk, that’s why it’s use is increasing.

– Dave

1 Like

Just had to google ‘cooties’ because of the mnemonic for the kanji 空. Ew.

4 Likes

Populace thought it would be similar to population or something. My dictionary told me that was right but I don’t know what the difference is or why people or population aren’t a synonym for 衆 :sweat_smile:

I’ve just jisho’d 衆 so I don’t have the full nuance but jisho says 衆 just means a large number of people.

Populace/population (人民 is kanji I know for it) are a group of people united by a specific thing (normally nationality or ethnic group). And as an added nuance, it means all people of that group.

So the difference is that 衆 is just a random mass of people, whereas 人民 is a group of people with some common trait.

2 Likes

I’ll take that. I can not remember the spelling. I didn’t even know the name of this flower in German…

ok, post 609 and finally a new English word for me: glabella (native English speaker here). I only learned it from your post, 眉間 is level 37 and I’m not there yet. And glabella is an alternative definition, brow is Wanikani’s primary definition, I know brow of course.

I did know the related word glabrous (smooth), as in glabrous plant leaves.

6 Likes

When I started WK I created a database for my English vocabularies in my online dictionary. About half of them originate from WK. My last entry was ‘moat’ for tracing back someone’s origin.

1 Like

Sorry, run that one past me again?

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s because of this mnemonic.

1 Like

Not sure this exactly fits here, but I recently did the lesson for 軍艦島 — battleship island. Is this a thing I should know? I’ve never heard of this before.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting thing you can go and see if you happen to be in Nagasaki and like industrial history…

4 Likes

It’s the name of a famous abandoned island. It’d say most people have probably never heard of it unless they go out of their way to learn about Japanese landmarks. Wikipedia has an article on it Hashima Island - Wikipedia if you’re interested.

5 Likes

You clearly need more One Piece in your life! :wink:

2 Likes

Ok not a new word but the correct spelling: “pronunciation”. After so many years of speaking english as a second language I never realized there’s no “ou” in this word :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Pronounce - pronunciation.

What a language!

2 Likes

Yeah, coincidentally a very commonly mispronounced word as well.

5 Likes

“Hock” as part of the mnemonic for the on’yomi reading of 北. Had no idea that “hock” is another word for pawn.
I thought there was no way I would ever remember that, but sure enough every time I see that kanji my head thinks “hock… hoku!”

Also just learned “skosh” as part of the reading for the vocab 少し. I’m having a harder time sticking this one in my head due to 少ない having an altered reading that I keep mixing it with.

3 Likes

Catty - Wikipedia :cat2:, especially if it is pink. I have learnt this one from Reading Challenge, WK Community.

The translation to Thai only went as far the Pinyin of the unit. Somehow not from boatpeople’s dialects. Even if it is used in SEA, it skipped my country.