What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

Dwell. Never notice anybody using it…

2 Likes

best not to dwell on it

6 Likes

Well, now that you say that, im pretty sure i heard that several times, in that context at least.

2 Likes

Or was it dwell in the sense of to live someplace? Like in a dwelling, perhaps?

2 Likes

Yes, exactly that.

BTW: your username means Exit in portuguese.

2 Likes

The two words might be etymologically related. I can see the meaning of one extending to encompass the meaning of the other.

To dwell: to live somewhere: to hang around: to keep your mind on a subject

1 Like

I know, people send me pictures the minute they land in Portugal for vacation :grin: But I don’t have the accent.

1 Like

“incur” means something like involuntarily acquire or earn. It’s used to talk about acquiring/earning negative things like costs/debts/expenses, someone’s wrath/anger, penalties, etc.

1 Like

The sedge kanji just got a lot more important now it’s the prime minister’s surname. Yoshihide Suga - Wikipedia

1 Like

The month before last

1 Like

Fiefdom

I thought it was some kind of joke word before looking it up :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Extremity (外れ) and municipal (市立). And I still don’t know what municipal means :star_struck:

1 Like

It means that’s related to cities/towns. it’s the city version of national. A municipal council would be a council for that city, a municipal hospital is a hospital made for that city etc etc. I don’t know how often it is used in english, but in portuguese we use it for any projects made by the city’s government (aka municipal government) to differenciate it from projects that are made by the state.

7 Likes

It’s been said already but 21 years and I’d never needed to spell 市立 municipal in English haha and I had to get my friend to explain how “month before last” worked

2 Likes

Just learned “Admonition”. Apparently we have the exact same word in french too, but i didn’t even know it, since the word “Réprimande” (Reprimand) is much much more common, while “Admonition” appears to be more of a legal mambo jumbo.

1 Like

Confidently. Even if you’re wrong, the object is to make the other person secretly wonder if you’re right and they’re saying it wrong.

3 Likes

german speaker here. the pronunciation of the name is pretty much identical with the japanese one: ニーチェ. else maybe think “knee che”.

• german “ie” is english “ee”
  • basically disregard the “z” entirely here (maaaybe it makes the “sh” sound a bit sharper)
  • “sch” = “sh”
2 Likes

Hull
Water line

1 Like

These two level 53 words caught me by surprise:

Brocade
Hollyhock

WK has forced me to look up definitions of loads of words I have heard many times but never really had a good grasp of. Like, in recent levels for me these two come to mind:

Admonish
Subjugate

2 Likes

still dont know what loiter means lol

1 Like