What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

My recent acquisitions:
thwart, monkey see monkey do, thickheadedness, blunt, goosebumps

I’m still not really sure what “detain” means. It’s the 留 in 留守 :joy:

1 Like

I had no idea what a Yurt was

1 Like

I just looked up wick, and to my big surprise it means exactly the same as Wick in Luxembourgish (but there it is pronounced “Vick”)!

2 Likes

I know, but a gracht surrounding a castle or a keep, for instance, is called a moat in English, which I never knew. I discovered that word through the mnemonic of 元.

1 Like

Dwelling. FFS, I’ve been studying English for 15 years, since I was 6 and I’ve never heard that word before.

1 Like

Never heard of the word contraption.

I cheated on that Kanji, because I could not remember the English word :D:D:D

Whenever it came up, I just thought “eh yeah, that weird thing”

1 Like

canopy :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, I just learned the kanji for canopy today, 幌 (not taught on WaniKani). It’s also the second kanji in 札幌 (Sapporo), but those kanji are just ateji.

4 Likes

Thanks WaniKani for properly teaching me the definition of “brow” and the entirely new word of “glabella” (the space between your eyebrows) 眉間 みけん.

(ԾεԾ|||)

5 Likes

Today I learned brazier.

And from the compound kanji I learned that a headband is really a rolled bowl (鉢巻), while the bowl is a golden book (鉢)?!

1 Like

The top of the head is also called 頭の鉢, so maybe that helps it make more sense. (頭の)鉢を巻くもの

1 Like

And they say games are a waste of time… I learnt A LOT of english from playing Magic the Gathering XD.

2 Likes

I learned ‘tricorne’ just now.

2 Likes

Have you seen the movie The Sound of Music? Think of the Mother Superior singing to Maria and urging her to “climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow, 'til you find your dream.” Find a way across that stream, Radish8!

1 Like

Well there you go, I never knew it had such an interesting name!
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 8.04.00 pm
Plus also didn’t know it is a band of connective tissue similar to a ligament!

5 Likes

According to Wikipedia (which tends to be pretty good on mathematical terms) the thing is called “fraction bar”. Vinculum is used in other contexts like the distance from A to B.

2 Likes

I was rubbish at high school maths so even if someone had referred to that line as a vinculum, I pretty much would have already glazed over and wondering when I could get onto reading my next sci/fi library book :laughing:

Haha, teaching high school maths is my job, but I teach it in German, so NO IDEA, how these things are usually refered to in English. We call it “Bruchstrich” (nice word for non natives to pronounce), which is similar to “fraction bar”.

3 Likes

Recent words: concurrence and filial piety. Thanks WK for making me learn English! >_>

4 Likes