What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

Isn’t a moat specifically circular around some building or area though?

EDIT: Maybe I’m specifically thinking about a slotgracht.

1 Like

That’s basically what I said, right? Or you mean it doesn’t have to be a castle?

1 Like

This is once again a great example of how I’m very bad at reading.

2 Likes

Or did you mean to say:

1 Like

No I just can’t read don’t worry

2 Likes

They are, respectively, the pointy ends of South America and Africa. Fairly hard to miss. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What’s Africa?

4 Likes

This

3 Likes

native english speaker and i had never heard of ‘alighting’ (降車) as a synonym for disembarking. but i forced myself to only answer that vocab with ‘alighting’ until i got it right.
Vocab Acquired®

1 Like

You don’t know this Cape either? :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Intimate(親しい) thought this was intimidate

3 Likes

what I’m gathering is my high school geography class has left a lot to be desired :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This one was a little while back, but… I didn’t just learn the English word, but also one for my native language.

“What on earth is a ‘wisteria’? Google translate pls help”
“Wait, what is a ‘blauweregen’?”
Only when I started to look at photo’s I realised what it refers to. And that that “it” apparantly has a name.

I’m not a flower person…
Good chance there’s probably a bunch more flowers I’ll learn the name of in three languages at once!

5 Likes

Triceratops! I’m fluent in English but it’s not my native language and I didn’t become fluent until I was a teenager. I was a huge fan of dinosaurs as a kid, but they all have completely different names in my native language and I guess I never bothered to study their English names later on, because now I’m having to google ‘3 horned dinosaur’ every time the triceratops radical shows up and it’s driving me nuts, lol. Here’s to hoping it sticks in my brain eventually.

5 Likes

Fun fact: “triceratops” means “three-horn face” in ancient Greek.

Cute :relaxed: ‘three-horn face’ does make slightly more sense than their name in Icelandic (my native language) which is ‘nashyrningseðla’ which translates to ‘rhinoceros-lizard’

3 Likes

yurt, eddy, whirlpool…
briar (seriously you guys really use this one ?)

I’m not sure I’d ever say just “briar” by itself, personally. But if there’s a place with lots of thorny plants, I would call it a briar-patch.

3 Likes

Oh! I thought it was a slang like ‘bro’-cade; a motorcade of bros.

1 Like

well this is from kitsun.io but matriculation