What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

I learn a lot of new English words from WK. The latest is “manure”. Most of new words come from radicals though. They are named very, ehm, creatively. Checking at the list of radicals up to my current level, here is the list of words I’ve never seen before (as I’m not a native speaker):
barb, mullet, raptor, clam, loiter, wolverine, sickle, cleat, hick, geoduck, jackhammer, creeper, mohawk, stilts, outhouse, slinky, mantis.
I’m sure future radicals will teach me many new words as well.

2 Likes

Yesterday I learned the word “Hawser”! It’s a big-ass rope, a mooring line to be more exact.

To be honest I didn’t exactly learn it in WaniKani, but thanks to it.

It’s all down to 綱.

I got 綱 in my reviews and was stuck… it’s one of my leeches. After failing it once again, I went to a dictionary (might have been jisho) and tried to look up different meanings and examples…

…and “hawser” was one of them. I did not know what it was, so it was wikipedia time… and now I wonder if I’ll remember what a “hawser” is in two weeks :sweat_smile: And more importantly, if I can remember how to actually read 綱…

(I also learned that “hawser” in Spanish, my language, is “guindaleza”, which sounds so quaint!)

1 Like

to utilise (to use) 用いる
municipal (urban) 市立

these are completely new to me :^)

1 Like

geoduck: rhymes with Puyallup. (not really, but it should in Pacific Northwest logic)

I haven’t run into a new English word yet (although some you all have put will be new when I see them). I just wanted to say, as a sailor, this:

Isn’t a cleat. That’s cleats, plural.
This is a cleat.
detail-image-yacht-rope-cleat-sailboat-deck-32941382

Conveniently that looks a lot like the radical. Inconveniently, if that’s what you see, the mnemonics don’t work right.

Eh, side-eyeing that one. That’s more like a bollard, with a useless little rounded off wingy-thing attached.

2 Likes

Mine was, “畜産” animal husbandry.
The husbandry part really confused me.

1 Like

Geoduck. Still pronouncing it incorrectly, too.

あな - hole in the wall

hole-in-the-wall ( plural hole-in-the-walls or holes-in-the-wall )

1. A small or obscure place, especially such as a restaurant.
  2. (colloquial, chiefly Britain) An automated teller machine (ATM).

never heard of that expression before.

1 Like

If you start sailing you’ll always remember what a hawser is. Can’t leave wihout taking them off.

1 Like

Hmmm. I do live next to a river. And I do have a neighbour who is constantly offering boat rides to the next town over.

Hmmmh!

1 Like

brocade (錦) My mnemonic at first was imagining some kind of arcade run by brothers. I’ve since looked up the word and know what it means now but I can’t help imagining that whenever I see this now.

6 Likes

thanks, now when i see it that is all i’m going to imagine haha

1 Like

Fortress.

If it’s not because @Aikibujin gave me that flying fortress, I wouldn’t know what a fortress is. I had searched on Google, but I still couldn’t understand what it means. I know the Indonesian word but how come that can fly. I was confused until @Aikibujin came with his awesome visualization.

1 Like

Yeah fantasy programs are really the place you find flying fortresses.

Steampunk being the genre most saturated with them. ^ _ ^

Like so:

and

1 Like

Filial piety (two words!)

4 Likes

This is the Flying Fortress:

Learned toke some days ago…

Conger eel.

Wow!! Giant Eel!

1 Like

Perhaps you are too young to be familiar with brocade, or just not into fabrics.

1 Like

Probably old english, as I’ve only really seen it in the King James version of the Bible. Shakespearian, then.

To foster was new to me … and cleat was also a new word I learned here.

1 Like