What's the damn problem?

If I recall from an earlier post, was 24 the level you reset on? I may suggest reading through the vocab list for each kanji. Likely, you have encountered a word or two on your travels and it could help reinforce.
I’m in a similar position where work has been crazy lately and I’m usually burnt out before even starting any study routine (though I really want to go forward). I had to put to it on vacation mode just because I won’t have regular routine for the weekend. I think after a few days and some proper sleep, it will be refreshing when coming back.

1 Like

yes, i reset from 24 back to 20. all the stuff was forgotten, but maybe there were remainders somewhere and relearning them was easier than getting new stuff under control.
maybe it’s just more work to break through, might get easier afterwards :wink:

A different approach : Maybe just try to guru them anyway (with ignore script) to unlock new vocab and new level and not getting stuck is better ? At least in my case lack of progress is the biggest demotivator.

Also, interestingly, I have found many times that some kanji that I failed all the time during apprentice stage, but ignore them (sometimes all the way to master), suddenly stop being an issue around guru or master stage, without clear reason… Probably because the associated vocab helped a lot ? Or maybe because I usually encountered the kanji in the wild in the meantime and it helped too ?

Then, if I notice a kanji still isn’t learned correctly at guru2/master stage, I finally make it failed for good and pay special attention to it. But doing so before this stage is too much unnecessary work IMHO.

Oh and +1 for the Keisei semantic-phonrtic script, I found it help a lot too, by lessening the burden of making mnemonic for reading and just by providing another handle to reach kanji in the fuzzy messy network of our memory.

1 Like

yeah, lvl 24 content is still very common and should pop up all the time. maybe i have to get more context to memorize them properly.
i usually force-guru my stuff, then drill what i didn’t get, fail afterwards, but i’ve never had the problem to this extent.
will definitely advance them. in my experience, things become easier the more you know, and you won’t pick up new stuff if you’re stuck with a bunch of problem children.

I recommend finding a word you know using the kanji ahead of time, as another person suggested. Put it in your notes to check every time you review the kanji.

1 Like

yeah i think that’s the best solution. look at the page, plan ahead, pre-learn the kanji together with some vocab i know that uses them. time to be more proactive i guess :slight_smile:

I’m currently going through this level too though not having any particular problems. I obviously don’t know what pace you use WaniKani at, and everyone has their own pace, but for me, when it comes to new Kanji, I only study 5 per session, let them sink in over two days, and then study the next 5 and so on. Sometimes if I know a few of the Kanji already, or their meanings and readings are familiar as based on the radicals, then I might study 10 per session instead. Either way, the sooner the vocab unlocks the better as this really helps reinforce the Kanji in my mind when I have actual words to associate them with.

However, I also just don’t worry about ‘learning’ them either or rushing my reviews in order to unlock the vocab sooner. The more you feel you’re struggling in you’re mind, the more a struggle it becomes. That’s more general life advice though!

I find that it’s better just to focus on each individual kanji and word as they appear in the reviews, and keep the flow up more than anything. The less overt ‘thinking’ you’re doing during the review sessions the better I find, even if you get more wrong as a result. It’s better to get them wrong and then use that opportunity to review them a little after the session to help reinforce them in your mind (though not too much - you don’t want to over-think this). After all, if you’d properly learned them, they’d more than likely have come to you without needing to think about them too much. Then, once you’re done with your study session, don’t think about any of it at all.

Come next review session, they’ve either stuck or they haven’t and you just keep at it, again and again, until they eventually do of their own accord. Some levels take longer than others, but that’s fine - there’s no rush! That’s at least my whole 態度 when it comes to learning this stuff! Everyone has a different method though so whatever works for you is what will work best.

1 Like

my current pace is roughly a level per week. not because i’d be in a hurry - i just need to be busy with studies. rolling around with too few reviews/lessons to do would bore me, and as a result, my motivation would wane. i need constant action.

now that i drilled them for 2 days, they seem to have stabilized. i’d rather remember them effortlessly, but that doesn’t seem to work this time around.

tomorrow will be the guru review for these kanji and the radicals, also weekend. i guess i’ll find out if my brain was just tired from work.

i agree, we have to go at a pace we feel comfortable with, and i’m a work horse :slight_smile:

This happens to me too sometimes when I didn’t really spend enough time on the mnemonic and actually visualize it.

What I usually do is to really go through the story of the mnemonic in my head, and “feel” it out.

In the long run, spending a few minutes on each kanji feeling out the mnemonics is more efficient/ quicker than trying to drill them by brute force.

Good luck on your guru review tomorrow!!

1 Like

thank you :slight_smile: i hope it’ll work out!

A lack of sleep will hurt your progress when learning anything, not just a language.

2 Likes

yes, i strongly suspect my lack of sleep played a big role. it’s weekend now, going to go slowly and recuperate.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.