What's that sign-post about? Mama, don't fear the work?

Sometimes I think I will quit that idea of learning japanese. Even with easy, simple sentences, I’m afraid of not getting a clue. I start thinking that kanjis are the easy part of that language.

I read something like “Mama, don’t fear the work. Both district schools open for a meeting.”
How can that be a thing? Anyone can kindlessly provide a clarification?

7 Likes

It’s not an easy sentence at all! The order of the words is very uncommon, used for effect.
It says literally “Mother(s), don’t put us (kids) in the shadow of your work”. I.e., it says that mothers should focus on their kids rather than their work.
The text in green is the group that put up the sign.

35 Likes

Thank you very much.

All the kanjis seemed easy under my actual WK level, and the grammar didn’t look so advanced at first glance (N5/N4). I really thought I could do that one on the fly. Then I figured out that something was going wrong on my understanding.

I will do the “train and vagons” thing like Cure Dolly until I get the meaning right.
Now I know what I’m trying to decode :wink:

Best regards!

3 Likes

The natural word order would be something like お母さん、(ぼくらを)仕事のかげに しないで

Literally: “Mother, don’t make us be the shadow of your work”. If you think metaphorically Mom choosing work over her children, you can imagine the children feeling like they’re “overshadowed” by her work… if that makes sense. Being in the shadow of something has the metaphorical meaning of being second to that thing.

Hard to make it into a natural-sounding sentence in English though, pretty hard.

3 Likes

This is me right now. Learning grammar is a struggle, and even sentences where I know all of the words hardly make sense. :sweat:

3 Likes

Welcome to inverted sentence structures where everything makes sense and sense everything makes :grin:.

In cases like this it makes sense to play around with the flow of the sentence. I like @jneapan 's translation, because it emphasizes that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t mark two answers as “Solution”. Nevertheless you’re clarification made my question even more solved. Thank you very much.

I have to mention that the sign post was next to a car workshop, so I expected it to be something related to cars, wheels, an schedule or something like that. I was trying to get kanjis in context, but that one was an “epic fail”.

1 Like

Thank you for your moral support :wink:

Even if knowing the kanjis doesn’t make you good at japanese, I’m it sure will ease the rest of your journey.

Best wishes in your japanese learning path.

1 Like