What's been your greatest achievement in your Japanese studies this year?

Let’s reminisce.

I’ll go first. Mine would be finally sitting my first JLPT, which was something I’d been wanting to do for a long time.

21 Likes

WaniKani level 33.
Kitsun level 25.
BunPro level 37 using Default BunPro Path.

17 Likes

Passing N4 is something I’m pretty proud of, but I think my greatest achievement has actually been turning studying into a habit. I feel like I’ve made so much progress this year since I became more disciplined, and I feel like my Japanese leveled up as a result :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Finally, after 20 months of WK, finding a sustainable pace!

13 Likes

Getting myself to actively study the language again even if it’s only been for the latter two months

13 Likes

Quitting all the SRS (?) :sweat_smile:

It might not sound as an achievement in itself, but actually learning japanese now is looking pretty much like how learning english as a second language was to me, mostly watching untranslated shows and media not available in my mother language.

I hope the habit of reading books keeps growing and the next jdrama season brings a couple of excellent shows to keep that habit as well… :slightly_smiling_face:

25 Likes

That’s awesome. Congrats!
I’m really curious to see the result of my N4 next month. Hope I pass, even if just barely hahaha

4 Likes

Finally finishing the first volume of Aria last summer and stop being totally overwhelm when I see japanese writings or hear japanese.

9 Likes

Starting my japanese studies was the greatest achievement! Although the year has been bumpy I’m happy to have a method to help me learn on a steady basis now :blush: Hoping to keep the habit for next year!

11 Likes

For me, it was probably getting past level 10 on WK. I took a break and felt overwhelmed about coming back to hundreds of reviews, but I made my way through them and got back to lessons and now, here I am at level 11.

13 Likes

Well, I mean, I haven’t quit yet so that is something. Also i managed to read 1 volume of a manga in japanese.

11 Likes
  • Getting to level 30+ on WaniKani
  • Finishing all grammar points available on bunpro (Also finishing Genki I+II)
  • Learning how to handwrite all Joyo kanji with the help of Anki and RTK and learning at least one definition for each of them (I’m leaving the readings to Wanikani)
  • Reading 14 light novel volumes. It probably sounds like a very low number but I only started getting comfortable with reading in Japanese around September (started studying in May), and I was busy studying other aspects of the language all year. Still, I got pretty happy I finally managed to read real native content, which seemed almost impossible during the first few months of study.
24 Likes

Thank you! And I hope you pass too! I barely passed if it makes you feel better haha. The listening section almost did me in :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What level, and how was it? I remember the first one being a shock

1 Like

Actually starting to learn japanese i´d say!

If that´s not allowed, i´ll go with me reading my very first NHK Easy article just a few day ago (without too much trouble). Felt really good.

2020 is only going to get better :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Seeing the fruits of my labor in my relationships, my ability to accomplish day to day tasks, and to consume native content more than I have before. This wasn’t a year where I was actively studying as much as previous years. Rather, I spent most of this year doing more passive studying, such as making note of things to remember and building my vocabulary and fluency.

12 Likes

Parsing my way through Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone on my Kindle has been slow and quite difficult, but realizing I could understand anything in a book at all feels so good. Reading in bed last night was my first real “Omg I can do this, it’s not as unobtainable as I thought” moment I’ve had since the beginning of my studies in March.

I woke up feeling empowered :muscle:t3:

23 Likes

My achievement would have to be getting back to learning the language and found a study path/schedule. I hope I go steady until next year c:

5 Likes

Finally learning some kanji!

6 Likes

I finally remembered which one was which between 起訴猶予 and 執行猶予 (thanks Psycho-Pass)!

8 Likes