What will you recommend for learning Japanese grammar?

I have the book as well and the romaji isn’t annoying unless you’re really opposed to it. The sample sentences will stack themselves so stealing one of them for an example: 好き なの? Suki na no? like/love (explain.-?) "Do you love him?" (PL2)

Next to it is the original panel, a box giving the context of the panel and characters involved, the explanation of the topic, and this one has an extra bullet for breaking down oddities related to suki and an extra breakdown of different phrasing similar to this.

Overall it’s a really good book. The above might look a bit overkill/cryptic, but it makes a lot of sense in context and it’s pretty easy to ignore what you don’t need. When I started I didn’t know most of the kanji, so the romaji was actually pretty helpful (and shouldn’t be a detriment if you know your kana anyway).

@LegendaryHero Since you’re level 1 I’ll actually take the opposite stance and suggest you avoid Tae Kim’s guide. It tends to be rather brief and even when using the app the kanji can be overwhelming for beginners. Genki at least has practice drills with it. If you’re going mobile Human Japanese is cheap, has audio, quizzes, and a good number of sample lines, but no drills (also, the first ‘book’ has no kanji).

Also, check out Japanisation Classroom. It’s a relatively new group of wk uses that chat and encourage progress. They’ve also got a resources folder you might want to check out. Japanisation Classroom new thread!

1 Like