What made you start Japanese?

I’ve always loved Japanese culture, film, etc. I remember watching Miyazaki films as a kid and being especially attached to them (Kiki’s Delivery Service was my favorite :two_hearts:) and that became a general interest in Japanese music and film. When I was in college, all of the Russian classes were full, so I took Japanese instead and just fell totally in love with it. All of it–language, culture, food, art, it’s all awesome. I minored in it I liked it so much :nerd_face: I got more into anime/manga later, after I’d already started Japanese classes.

5 Likes

I always liked linguistics but never thought one could just learn a new language as an adult. So whenever I watched anime I tried to compare what was said to the subtitles, not really to learn a bunch of vocab, but just to get a grasp of what the sentence structure and grammar was like. Until one day I remarked “huh, this は word doesn’t seem to ever be directly translatable, does it?” and another japanese-learning friend replied, “come learn this language with me!”, and the rest was history.

11 Likes

When I was in high school, I signed up for an exchange program and decided on a whim to put Japan as my first choice. I had never studied Japanese and knew next to nothing of the pop culture stuff, unlike all the other exchange students. I had read Tale of Murasaki, a historical fiction about Murasaki Shikibu, and Geisha of Gion, Iwasaki Mineko’s memoir. The only other stuff I knew was the music of Nakajima Miyuki (a folk singer who started out in the late 70s) and a tiny number of Miyazaki movies. As you can imagine, there wasn’t much I could talk about with the others!

I really struggled with the language. I was so overwhelmed and it didn’t help that my host mom was an English teacher. It was so difficult to mangle the simplest Japanese when I knew she would understand my English. I all but made up my mind that I would never do anything with Japanese again once I was home. Then, in an unexpected twist, the grammar started to slowly form in my mind when I was back in the US. I think that I was too overwhelmed in Japan, but in the US I was able to start making sense of it. That was…12-13 years ago. I’ve studied in college, studied abroad in Japan again. My Japanese isn’t great but it’s a work in progress and I can get by pretty well.

5 Likes

What a cool story!
I resonated with the part of your story of it being difficult to manage simple Japanese when knowing they would get your English. I actually have the same problem here sometimes with my English teachers (I’m an assistant language teacher/ALT), but studying and getting to talk with kids and other teachers is helping.

But good on you for continuing to study! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I got upset by censored games.

Like chrunyroll. They censored a game, called it not censoreship, only that they removed stuff because its not appropriate for the west.

Then they said you could always play the japanese version if its a problem for you.
Okay, see what you have of it chrunchroll :angry:

Joking aside, I want to experience japanese content in its nativ form. I love the sound of the language and of course their music.

And to hear people say: You understand chinese? :anguished:

Congratulations, now that you admitted it, you can finally stop :wink:

4 Likes

I was compelled to by my yamatodamashii.

My grandparents wouldn’t speak English at us growing up. Also my wife and boss got mad at me for being worse at reading and writing than a toddler

1 Like

The 1000% enjoyment…

1 Like

I love Nature & watched lots of documentaries when I was young … Fell in Love with Japan & it’s culture / Nature / Architecture …

Though it was not my priority at that time, I realize now that it would be more proficient to learn the language if I want to visit the country.

• After experience that feeling of being able to speak easily another language than my mother tongue, I wanted to try with another language, as roman language are too similar to mine I choose Japanese. LOL
1 Like

I like to learn new languages. I met japan culture with animes and I liked it. After a few months I tried to speak Japaneese, think Japaneese and I wanted to read Japaneese.

2 Likes

You need to become japanese !

5 Likes

Lol right! :joy:

I am interested in different languages based on what I perceive as ‘musical’ or ‘delightful’ to my ears. The Japanese culture is also unique. I was flabbergasted at the thought of attending schools on weekends but even exams are held on Saturdays in Japan

1 Like

How did having tinnitus motivate you to learn something? As a distraction, or for some other reason?

Pokémon because I hav japs

Originally I came to Japan for Snowboarding. On one trip, I injured my knee badly and needed a knee reco, which put me out of work and pretty much anything active for 6 months.
I had learnt a tiny bit of Japanese on my snowboard trips and seeing as I had so much free time, decided to join a Japanese class once a week in my home town.

This then led me to moving to Japan on a working holiday visa to work at the ski fields and after 18 months am now moving on to a proper working Visa=]

1 Like

Not too different from this myself. I work in video games and I’ve been playing them since I was a little kid. I am sick and tired of some rainbow-haired left-wing puritan slapping VERBOTEN stamps on game content they find “problematic”. With the Switch being region-free the whole thing works out well really.

3 Likes

Because I was bored and really:

and I want to read VNs that might never get translated

3 Likes

I started learning Japanese because the japanese culture fascinates me and i would like to visit Japan one day…

Ya I got it around a year and a half ago. When it starts they tell you it goes away in a week or you will have it forever. When your hear a non stop sound you learn not doing anything is not really a fun option anymore so adding a big protect like learn Japanese helps me turn my downtime in to something productive and my tinnitus makes me motivated to keep distracted and doing something with my time…

1 Like

Grew up in the early 2000s where anime and Japanese video games were really huge for kids in Germany. So I guess it was only natural I became interested in the country. There were some half-hearted attempts to learn the language back then, but I only really started to learn after my first trip to Japan, right after I left highschool. That’s also when I became more interested in aspects of Japanese culture aside from pop culture.

1 Like