What Level Should I Reset To?

if you forgot lvl 4 items, reset back to 1.
make a clear cut and enjoy the breeze through 1-3, build some confidence. then, when you get to 4+, take more times with the lessons.

5 Likes

there’s also another alternative.

don’t reset anything. no lessons. unburn lvl 1 kanji, then lvl 2, then 3, and so on.
start lessons again when all lvl 13 kanji are guru.

i’ll do something like that when i hit 30, unburn only kanji, starting at lvl 15 or so.

1 Like

How would reviews work, then, though? I always have over 300+ ensuring I never review all concepts at the proper time (because I don’t have the time/patience to slog through a 300+ backlog every day).

1 Like

just don’t do any new lessons for now. work your reviews till the apprentice count is below 50 before you start to unburn.

set yourself a limit. x reviews per day, or x amount of time, then just stick to it.

As someone who just reset a second time to level 1, I recommend resetting to the level you’re having trouble with. I do my reviews on several devices, and not all of them support reordering.

I’ve been doing this for almost a month. I get so many wrong that it hardly makes a difference. :cry:

I a little bit regret going all the way back to the beginning (though not that much). Be warned, that going back any number of levels may not actually take out many of your current review queue, but it will leave you with the ones it’s easiest to guru-up. You can always go back to 9 or 10, try it for a few days, and see if the SRS starts to take hold at some point, then go back even further if it doesn’t. No matter what, I’d do only reviews until you get to ~80% accuracy, then start to think about doing lessons. You’ll learn it eventually!

3 Likes

I’ve fallen off the bandwagon a few times and accumulated 600+ reviews. After I let reviews build up too much, I personally prefer working through the backlog to get it down to zero (however many days that takes), and then resume hitting zero every day after that. When you’re hitting zero reviews multiple times every day your review accuracy will go up, then once your daily review load and apprentice count are easy to handle, you’ll be ready to do more lessons.

One time I did use a reorder script to get through a large backlogs of reviews. I set it to give me radicals first, then kanji, then vocab, and I worked on getting each of those down to zero only after I was successfully hitting zero with the previous one. Vocab was obviously a much larger batch than radicals or kanji, but the reorder script should also let you sort by other categories if you find it necessary.

Honestly that’s exactly what a lot of members here do/have done. I definitely consider 250+ a normal day’s workload when leveling. To make your daily load easier, you probably need to make sure you’re down to like 20 or less apprentice items before you do lessons, and not let the apprentice count go over 100.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed that… :confused: It’s a problem because I really don’t usually have time to spend over an hour doing WaniKani each day, especially because I feel like if I’m gonna devote that time to Japanese study, I’d rather spend it learning grammar and improving my speaking abilities (although knowing the kanji does make learning to read WAY faster).

This became a huge problem last semester because school took up most of my time. It’ll be even worse next semester because I’m gonna be in a musical. So…yeah. Not really sure how to work around that, or if I even can.

^^^ This seems reasonable. I think really slowing down my leveling process will be workable in my situation. Now I just gotta get down to that initial 0…

2 Likes

My personal opinion would be to reset to level 1. You seem flustered, and overwhelmed so maybe a fresh start would help that

But before you start, have a read of the ultimate guide to WK https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://community.wanikani.com/t/my-journey-of-368-days-the-ultimate-guide-for-wk/31318&ved=2ahUKEwjN2_PnubDfAhUjtnEKHVdgCsQQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2YfKowN9zQGgqly0vgnrfi

You seem worried about dedication hours and hours each day to lessons and reviews, but using this method, you only really have to be on WK 3 times a day, two times 12 hours apart, and one time 4 hours aside from that time

So for me my routine is this.

6am - half hour of reviews, I can usually burn about 70 reviews with lightning mode on
6pm - half-hour of reviews, and half hour of lessons
10pm - first review of learnt materials from 6pm, excluding any reviews that have popped up from other levels.

You can adjust this schedule to fit your needs, as long as the main sessions are 12 hours apart, the third session is a bit more flexible and can be done in either of the following ways.

Lesson at -4hours (for me this is 2am/pm) then review with main block of reviews at 6am/pm

Or

Lesson at 0hours (6am/6pm) then review at +4hours (10am/10pm) and can be moved accordingly if you fail a first review to the next +/-4hr period

This pushes all of my reviews to 6am and 6pm, as such those are the only times I need to dedicate 30mins to WK, and I’m levelling so much faster and getting so many more reviews correct, and they never pile up to more than 140, if I run out of time I just let them roll to the next review period.

1 Like

How do you make this work? Do you use the self-study script?

I’m not exactly sure if I understood everything you said, but the every-12-hours thing makes sense.

You just use ultimate re-order script, this allows you to exclude items from other levels by right clicking on the level in the script, or by item type if you’re just reviewing radicals or kanji. Ultimate timeline script will help you to visualise what reviews you have coming up on your dashboard.

If you’re going from scratch, it won’t be too much of a problem, but WK intervals work in the following way;

First lesson -Aprentice 1 -0hrs
First review -Aprentice 2- 4 hours later
Second review - Apprentice 3 - 8 hours later

As the second review is 8 hours after the first, which is 4 hours after the initial lesson (8+4 =12), this means the second review, provided you got it correct both times, is 12 hours after the initial lesson, so if you do the lesson at 1pm, review at 5pm, the second review will be at 1am back in line with all your other reviews. All other reviews are at +12hrs, +24hrs, +48hrs etc.

What using Ultimate timeline + ultimate re-order does is allows you to do, is when you’re doing your first reviews for lessons, you can just ignore all the other reviews you don’t need to do until later, so if using the example below;

Lesson at 1pm
Review 1 at 5 pm, (let’s say a guru item from another level is also available for review here)
Review 2 at 1am

You can ignore that guru item that has become available, and just do your apprentice item, allowing you to push the guru item into your main review block at 1am. So by observing what you have coming up, you can build your own schedule, sometimes if I have 200 items at 6am, but 20 items at 6pm, I’ll just leave 100 of them to do at 6pm instead and pace things out a bit!

1 Like

Thanks for all your help, guys! I reset to level 9 and managed to clear out my reviews. I’m planning to keep reviewing until I get apprentice items down to 20 before I start doing lessons. Thanks, and hopefully this goes well!

5 Likes

Good luck! Hope you’re able to work out a schedule that leaves you feeling less overwhelmed :blush:

1 Like

:tada: :tada: :tada:
Back in the learning game!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.