What kind of vocabulary do you have trouble memorising?

I always have trouble with vocabulary that contains any Kanji related to the mind, such as deliberation (議)、thought (思) and thought (念)just to name a few. There’s just so many kanji related to what your mind does that I can’t keep up with memorising all of the vocabulary, even with the use of Anki

3 Likes

Anything that involves 業 and 商 I have always struggled with. I can never remember whether it’s business, employment, merchant, selling, or other

3 Likes

Transitive and intransitive versions of verbs. It starts easy with the あ’s being intransitive and the え’s being transitive (上げる and 上がる, 下げる and 下がる) but soon there’s no rhyme or reason to what’s active and what passive and you just have to brute force memorize it… at least I think

5 Likes

Those and おりる, おろす :sob::sob:

1 Like

My troubling words are 技能、近年、共同、and those sight/spectacle/spectacular view words.

Halves of pairs with あす endings are usually transitive. But する verbs can sometimes go both ways.

3 Likes

Not WaniKani vocab, but for me onomatopoeia and mimetic words are tough. I have to hear them like 10x more than other kinds of words to feel the same level of comfort with them.

4 Likes

I have trouble with adverbial expressions of time etc. But when I’m not sure what the meaning is I often just type “soon” and it works. :smile:

4 Likes

I’m currently having trouble on KW with 欠ける、付ける and 代える. If I don’t mix up the kanji/meaning, I get the hiragana wrong. Though no problem recognizing them on WK which makes it really frustrating because I know that I should/could know them properly. Unfortunately they never show up in the same queue so I’d have a chance to better distinguish between them.

I don’t know if you do that, but what helped me in memorising the hiragana portions of verbs like 欠ける is to pronounce them out aloud in English and Japanese everytime I have them in a review on WK. By the time I get to them in KameSame, the word “to lose” is linked to that particular sound, so it’s easier for me to recall. I actually do this for nearly all words, even jukugo ones. It really helps solidifying those connections in the brain, so if you’re not doing it yet, maybe give it a shot and see if it helps you as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.