What is the most recent thing you realized was bad advice for learning Japanese?

Yeah, I will get back to it probably within the next year. But for now I am kind of trying to break through those upper levels which I have been comfortable ignoring for too long.

1 Like

Personally I plan on doing Quartet → AJ, alongside JLPT materials once I am completely out of the beginner levels. Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

That’s a good strategy. I mostly did Quartet since it had been a minute since I finished Tobira and didn’t feel like I internalized the intermediate material as much as I felt I should have.

1 Like

So far neither of the textbooks I’ve tried (GENKI I and 80/20 Japanese) really held me in. I’ve been using Cure Dolly’s Japanese from Scratch playlist as my “textbook” to get me started. I just find the video format more engaging and Cure Dolly’s presentation style is a little less dry than reading a book. I don’t care about the JLPT so I’m not concerned whether my source goes in order from N5 upwards. Not sure where I’ll turn to next for further learning after I get finished up with that. I’m only about halfway through her lessons, so I can’t say how much I’ll have been exposed to by the time I’m done.

Just out of curiosity, how are you finding Quartet? About the only things I know about it are that it’s fairly new and it’s supposed to be an intermediate textbook. Do you find that it overlaps a lot with Tobira? (Or at least, with what you remember of Tobira?)

1 Like

I think its a more refined Tobira. Like IAJ became Tobira, and Tobira became Quartet. I think Quartet is much better about testing the 4 skills of language acquisition. Tobira is good reading material, but the way they present Grammar is kind of messy. That being said, while Quartet is nicer to look at, you get about 6-8 grammar points a chapter, where Tobira from what I remember just dumps a ton on you.

1 Like

Yeah, in Tobira, 10-15 grammar points a chapter is the usual. But are there more chapters in Quartet? I mean, there are multiple volumes, right?

Theres 2 books, and each book its 6 chapters.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Thanks! Yeah, that is fewer grammar points than Tobira, I guess.

It is, especially if you include the Tobira Grammar Power addon book. However, if you supplement Quartet with JLPT grammar books and A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar (Intermediate and Advanced), it should all even out.

From what I’ve gathered reading about it. the layout for Tobira would probably not work well for me, so I’m ok with using Quartet with its more appealing layout and bite-sized lessons, and adding in a few extra books to cover the gaps. I’m a huge fan of TRY! and SKM, so I was going to use those as supplements anyway.

2 Likes

I honestly didn’t think that there would be additional grammar points in the Grammar Power book. I thought that it would just contain exercises relating to those in the main textbook. Anyhow, that’ interesting.

Yeah, I suppose, but I honestly doubt that much of Tobira goes as far as the DoAJG. It’s OK though, one can definitely go ahead and study those grammar dictionaries alongside a textbook, as long as one is enjoying the learning process.

1 Like

Ahh I admit I was just going off of assumptions for the grammar addon book. I checked out some reviews and people do mention that it just contains exercises and doesn’t provide more in-depth explanation.

1 Like