What is the hardest kanji/vocab word/grammar point for you to remember?

もう and まだ have been bugging me since the day I learned them.
:confounded:

2 Likes

This is a paradox; if I remembered the most difficult kanji/word/grammar point, then it would be replaced by the hardest to remember in the line of things I’ve forgotten over time. My memory makes a point of making a fool out me when I need it the most, like a conversation or an email.

I learned about extra polite speach in college, but even then I couldn’t get my head around it. Stuff like when to add あげる (give) or the special polite forms of verbs. Like いらっしゃる, I think this is one of them. I don’t know if I will ever use them, and I think that discouraged me in memorizing it right.

Every time 近日 comes up for review I cringe. I can never for the life of me remember whether it means “recent days” or “coming days”, especially as 近年 means “recent years” and 最近 means “recently”.

3 Likes

When you start reading a lot, you will notice them crop up. In particular, ~てあげる is extremely useful for talking about doing things for others.

I’m not sure if you’ve encountered くれる and もらう yet, but these have similar usages to あげる in that they can be used to talk about others doing things for you and getting others to do something respectively.

Similarly with honorific forms, you’ll especially see them appear in formal speech. Check out this page if you’re confused about them:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/honorific

Wow, thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.