What is the hardest kanji/vocab word/grammar point for you to remember?

WK doesn’t help with that, to be honest. 立つ/立てる was particularly bad. I mean I can tell the difference, but WK expects “to stand up” for 立てる, not 立つ. I mean, “to stand up”, without adding an object in there, is clearly intransitive.

I started entering the alternate meaning “to erect” for 立てる so that I would remember the correct meaning. Actually there are several vocab I prefer the alternate meaning for, come to think of it.

2 Likes

I tend to have very persistent leeches

I’ve done some studying outside of WK now, and my most difficult hurdle is learning pronouns: this, that, etc.

ari desu versus mashita

The list goes on. I have been watching YouTube videos about sounding native when speaking Japanese. I never realized just how many details I need to watch for.

It’s really frustrating trying to remember certain pronunciation issues, like if a sound becomes rendaku, or if there is one or two “oh” sounds.

Theoretically my worst item on WK is probably 八つ. A level 1 vocab still at Guru because I can never get the reading right. I keep getting it confused with 四つ because 八日 does begin with a よ. Counting is hard.

But recently I’ve had trouble with the kanji 転. I keep giving the meaning as ‘rotate’ when it wants ‘revolve’ and I’m not even sure I know the difference. Is there a difference? (I mean I know rotate can be transitive or intransitive and revolve is usually only intransitive, but we’re talking about kanji here, not vocab, so verb type shouldn’t matter.) I would just give it a synonym but I’m not entirely sure I wouldn’t be wrong about that.

1 Like

Ugh. Now these two vocabulary pronunciations I am CONSTANTLY getting mixed up!
入場 (にゅうじょう ) and 入所 ( にゅうしょ)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure those are my two least favorite words. Still mixing them up at Level 25…

Both しょ and ところ (所) seem to be have short vowels, chopped by an axe (斤), btw.

4 Likes

I must say,“Amen!”

The different forms of わけ. I learnt them multiple times and always forget them. Now I hear Japanese saying some kind of わけ-sentence, e.g. わけにはいかない and I’m so angry with me that I can’t remember the meaning! :smiley:

I just learned how to differentiate them! The latter has an axe in it, so I think, “You actually want to enter here? With an axe? Sure…”

1 Like

I always have trouble remembering 抽象的 (ちゅうしょう), especially during conversations I usually have to ask the person who I’m talking to what the word is, which completely derails any type of flow I may have going. I know there are others, but coincidentally, I don’t remember them at the moment. :slight_smile:

For some reason, 資格(しかく) and 支度(したく) always get mixed up for me. The kanji have, in my mind, a very loose connection to the meaning which is my main problem. The readings themselves aren’t a problem >.<

I don’t know much grammar yet so a lot of things confuse me. Also I’m terrible at explaining things. It seems I grasp things and understand them “abstractly” in my mind but can’t explain. Does that make sense?? I’m starting to get the transitive and intransitive stuff though. I’m sure we have that in English as well…lmao

Anything that starts with 引き for some reason. I just have a lot of trouble remembering those.

予想, I don’t know why. I always have to stop and think when I see this word.

Well… I do not know where to start

金魚 ( きんぎょ ) - Goldfish
I always write a extra “う”

人形 ( にんぎょう ) - Doll
sometimes I donw write the “う” and sometimes I write “jin” when it is “nin”

話 - TALK, SPEECH - STORY
I translate it lide “say, speak”

I confuse
使 and 便
矢, 牛 and 生 (it is not so often now, but was a big problem)

牛 - I forget what this means

午前 and 午後 (no longer a big problem)

and there are a lot more for me but I dont rememeber them now

and then you get to learn 更 and 硬 too